Chapter Eight: Falling

Anne swept a thumb across her phone screen, text illuminated over a dark backdrop.

hey you, Im freezing my ass out here Sasha messaged, sending a goofy photo of herself peering down at her phone, her cheeks a strawberry pink.

And whos choice was it to wear a flimsy little coat? Anne sent back, watching the little typing icon appear at the bottom, repeatedly stop, then continue several times.

but this is my cool coat Sasha ended up replying. Even though Sasha wasnt next to her in person, she could all but imagine her childish tone.

Maybe I'll just take my sweet time then 🥱 Anne shot back.

Sasha frantically sent two blurry photos of herself wearing strong looks of disapproval in response, to which Anne lightly chuckled at.

Okay okay, Im omw

Anne closed the screen and squeezed the phone to her chest. She felt like she was a little more excited for this than she should have been, after all, this was nothing new to what Anne had done with Marcy on the regular. Why was it any different with Sasha?

The two agreed to check out the roller skating rink theyd talked about a few nights ago. It had been on her mind since the topic was first brought up. She didnt exactly know how it got brought up but she was kind of glad it came up at all, as weird as that seemed. She took her mind back to Monday night, trying to remember, though not all of it was entirely pleasant.

Loud laughter encapsulated the entire table. Anne sat quietly, sipping on a cold pineapple drink, though the pineapple slice resting on the corner of the glass had grown warmer than the drink at this point. Anne had gotten nearly nothing from these two. Why Josie thought this place was ideal, Anne had no clue.

She almost felt...dispensable? Was that the word?

It was as if her presence was to be mere paparazzi, or someone to document this portion of their lives, then leave when they were satisfied. Except Anne was not at all satisfied, not with how it went.

Kenzie had taught her that interviews for quotes needed to be much more personal than the stereotyped paparazzi, but not so personal you invaded the interviewees life. There was a fine balance between the two sides, one that was important to creating something accurate yet relatable.

But sitting here, with half the football team, she felt like neither valued her time like she valued theirs.

Claire had been a little more talkative to Anne than Josie: she was humble in temperament and actually had a knack for creative writing, although, when she spoke with Josie or the rest of the team, her personality changed.

And, a little off-puting but...so did Sasha's.

Most of the players left the restaurant before nine, and Josie and Claire later made their own exit around that time. When the tables emptied, Anne made her departure without saying goodbye, stopping at the restrooms to contemplate her next steps from here.

She slid her bag comfortably at her side to rinse her hands, staring into the mirror, as if she was internally talking to herself.

"Hey," a familiar voice hummed. Anne heard the door to the restroom shut and steps approach her. "Are you feeling okay? You don't look...good," Sasha noticed her distress in front of the mirror, then quickly added. "Er, not that you ever don't look good. I mean of course you look nice-"

Anne gave her a puzzled look.

"Ah I mean- its just, you're not yourself," Sasha finished stiffly. "And if I know Anne Boonchuy, it's that she doesnt keep her mouth shut. You just seem quiet tonight."