Chapter Six: Chasm

Clothing from Anne's room was thrown into the hallway, missing a basket sitting in the middle.

"I know you're doing laundry 'n all, but I somehow feel your cleaning has been more excessive than usual," Marcy pointed out, leaning on the doorframe of Anne's room.

"I just don't want my room looking like complete garbage today, y'know," Anne threw a ball of clothing, landing it into the basket this time.

Marcy had her arms crossed and stance rigid, concern plastered on her face. Anne's room had always been the more messy of the two, not awfully unbearable, but there were things Anne definitely could've done to help with organization. For starters, laundry.

Anne's room consisted of photographs of friends and family, spanning her wall on laundry lines and held with clothespins. Pastel yellow sheets patterned like watercolor, a sunflower shaped pillow and countless plush frogs rested on her bed. A photography camera in its bag rested on a shelf next to a customized typewriter Marcy had gifted. Anne hadn't used it often but still adored it. It was one of those things that was just too pretty to use.

A small desk lay cluttered with homework, papers and notes, of which she still needed to sort to see which ones she really needed and which to toss out. A few Thai themed decorations dotted her room, as well as a few cultural items her mom insisted she take to college. As much as she appreciated all of her mom's trinkets, she would always love all her frog or frog themed items more, though she'd never say that to her mother's face.

Above the desk, plastered all over a corkboard were photo upon photo of her and Marcy. A carnival fair, an asian noodle place, a trip to the aquarium; the girls had done it all, and still had so many more things to do.

"I understand that but" Marcy watched Anne fling a t-shirt into the basket, congratulating herself.

"Woo! I think I could pull off basketball, what do you think?" Anne joked, reaching for a long sleeve crew neck resting on the back of the chair at her desk. "You think I can make this last one?"

Marcy stared at her, to the basket behind her, then back at Anne.

"Anne, can I ask you something?"

Anne lowered her hand with the balled up shirt. "Sure?"

Marcy glanced down to the floor, eyes tracing the lines of wooden panels. "Why do you seem like you're trying so hard for her?"

Anne's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "What? For who?"

"For the football player. For Sasha," Marcy answered.

"I don't understand what you mean? We're just working on projects together?"

"You go out of your way to see her sometimes. I understand this article is really important to you, but.." Marcy squeezed her arms. "You do realize that after she turns in that project, she's just going to forget you?"

"What are you talking about?" Anne gazed at her in disbelief.

"Anne, open your eyes," Marcy broke her fixated gaze from the floor to Anne. "This is Sasha Waybright we're talking about. The girl is infamous for useless drama, using others to finish her homework and causing fights during football games. Don't you see she's only nice to you because people actually like you, and once she has what she needs, she's not going to need you anymore?"

"You say that like you know exactly who she is," Anne's tone dipped lower.

"No, Anne, but I know enough about you to know you're being too kind for your own good," Marcy stated crisply. "What do you think befriending her is going to even do? The jocks are never going to treat you with respect, even if you are friends with her."