Chapter Four: Crack In A Pillar

"Anne," a muffled voice said her name. "Anne?" It reiterated.

"Oh-" Anne blinked back into focus. "Uh, yeah?"

"Anne, you good?"

"Yeah, great, Kenzie. Why?"

"You seem distracted," a girl with long, dirty blonde hair and clear rimmed glasses spoke. "I asked how the Lady Warriors article is going?"

"Uhm," Anne tapped her fingers across the table, sliding her phone away. She knew very well she hadn't even started it. "I don't have anything written quite yet-"

The room shared looks of concern.

"But-" Anne quickly continued, dousing everyone's fears. "I have what I need to write it."

Kenzie sighed, relieved. "That's the first good news I've heard all month."

"Why's that?"

"Well, Fall Formal isn't until after the game, and Madrigals just started, so we don't have much to write about as of now. Student council hasn't even decided the Fall Formal theme," she pinched the bridge of her nose underneath her glasses.

"They make it Halloween themed every year," another student with wavy brunette hair rolled her eyes. "They really need variety," she disappointedly shook her head.

"Well, Paige, aren't you a part of StuCo? Can't you convince them to make this year's theme...creative?" The girl in glasses turned to the light brunette.

"That ultimately isn't my decision to make," Paige said sadly. "The President and Vice have the final say and every year, it's always Halloween."

"I mean, you could talk a little about Madrigals, right Kenz? I heard opening night went well at least," Anne turned back to the blonde.

"All thanks to you," a familiar face entered the room. A boy with swept hair and studious clothing stepped inside.

"Glad to have you here Erick," Kenzie greeted. "Late, but, here."

The room held eight people in total, Anne one of them. They were in room 107, the same room the newsletter committee met every few times to discuss their burning topics of the month.

The blonde girl in glasses, Mackenzie, liked to be called Kenzie, or more simply, Kenz. She was a girl interested in a career of creative writing. Yearbook, Newsletter, Journalism, Writing Club? She was in all of it. She was the newsletter head, also known as the Editor in Chief. She controlled what went in and what to leave out. She held a tight hold on her position and led it well: this year would be her final year in university, so she was a major stickler for each newsletter being absolutely perfect.

"Sorry, I ran into someone on the way here," Erick apologized. "But I think Madrigals really owe it to Anne."

Erick wore a buttoned baby blue shirt and short hair, styled into a side sweep. He was a man of many talents and many clubs to match. As well as being a stage crew costume designer, he was also the news committee's spread designer. He had an eye for the arts and dabbled in graphic design and music. Not only that, but he was crazy intelligent.

"Awe shucks," Anne gestured a hand and turned her face away bashfully.

"I managed to make it to opening night to help out a bit, who was the tall chick with you? She left before I could find out," Paige scooted forward in her seat, patiently waiting.

Paige was an ex-athlete. Previously known for being in volleyball and a minor track runner. She realized sports weren't for her and she switched to different academic ventures; newsletter, science club and afternoon tutoring took most of her time now.