Chapter Seven: Self Inflicted Wound

CLAP CLAP.

The room snapped to attention and soft chatter quieted to the sound of Kenzies claps.

"Right, we're all here this week, on time, what a rare occurrence," Kenzie stood at the end of the same table Anne and the rest of the committee had gathered at many times before. In a way the room was comforting despite the steep walls and windows. So, Autumn Madrigals: what you got Erick?

"Oh, awesome news," the boy splayed his fingers then swept a bag resting from the floor onto the table. It was a camera bag, one every photographer in the yearbook and newsletter owned. Erick's was specially designed with musical pins. Pulling out a professional camera he clicked through photos before handing it over to the club head.

"Wow, impressive shots man," Paige peered over Kenzie's shoulder.

"Being in the Madrigals stage crew gives me the best access to the coolest photography spots," Erick beamed.

"Lemme see-" Anne joined the crowd around Kenz, observing photos of students cheerfully singing in partial play attire, others being dressed in makeup or messing around backstage. Flipping through more, Erick caught wonderful shots of the Madrigal performances from the auditorium floor, some ethereal almost, as if they werent taken from a school musical at all.

"All I need left to do is to organize the rest of these photos in the spread and then add the ones from the closing performance next week," Erick explained as Kenzie handed his camera back to him.

"Impressive. I've already seen some of your article and its coming along nicely," Kenzie nodded in approval. "Paige? Whats the scoop on the Fall Formal?"

"Oh you're gonna love this years theme, guess," the brunette wore an excited expression.

" I can't tell if you look excited for satire or if you actually are. The theme's Halloween again, thats what it is every year," Stephan sat arched back in his chair, nonchalant in temperament and laid back—probably too laid back—with his chair tilted on a single leg.

"Oh, let me guess, they called it something different when we all know subconsciously the 'Dance of the Dead' or 'Witches Bash' are actually just Halloween knockoffs," Diya suggested as a guess.

Paige shook her head 'no' to both of their statements.

"Is it true?" Anne gasped, hands to her cheeks. "A new theme this year?"

"Alright, none of you better say anything, Student Council isnt announcing this until Wednesday," Paige dipped her voice to a more serious tone. "If this got out before StuCo announced it, I'd be dead."

All heads immediately swiveled to Mahalia.

"What?" Mahalia reeled back, offended. Her stylish outfit of choice today was a bright yellow romper, accented by sunflower earrings and yellow accessories. Clear platform boots and white eyeliner contrasting dark skin finished her look: not a single day had she wasted wearing a dull outfit.

"Lia, promise," Paige begged the girl.

"Fine, I'll try my best not to blab anything," Mahalia sighed.

Paige then took a deep breath. "This year's theme is Warrior."

"Woah, I actually kinda like the sound of that," Kendall had her fingers cupped under her chin.

"What kind of attire are we even supposed to wear to that?" Diya complained.

"Something 'warrior-like'. Cmon Di, youre smarter than that," Stephan teased. Diya abrasively shoved the back of his chair, making the boy fumble and grip onto the table for support.