CHAPTER 4

"Lucas!" hingal na tawag ko sa anak ng makita ko itong kasama ang batang babae na tinuro niya kanina sa akin.

Napalingon ito sa akin. He smiled widely at me and waved. "Mom! I have a new friend! I'll introduce you to her!" sigaw nito.

Nilapitan ko ito. "Anak, don't do that again," I seriously said to my son.

He lowered his head and pouted. "Sorry po... Binigay ko lang naman po sa kanya ang ice cream na binili natin para sa kanya," he said in a low voice.

I ruffled his hair. "Mommy's not mad okay? I'm just worried." I sighed.

He nodded. Tiningnan ko ang batang babae na kausap ng anak ko. She's looking at me as she eats her ice cream.

She smiled when our eyes met. "Hi po..." she shyly said.

She's so cute. I sweetly smiled at her. "What's your name, little girl?" I asked.

I want to pinch her pinkish cheeks. Napatingin ako kay Lucas ng siya na mismo ang sumagot.

"She's Hailey, Mommy." Napataas ang kilay ko.

"I'm not asking you, Son." Mataray na sabi ko. Binalik ko ang tingin sa batang babae.

"He's right, I'm Hailey," she said in a low voice.

"Why are you alone? Where are your parents? You don't look like a street child," I stated as I glanced at her expensive bracelet.

This cute little girl is, I think, around five or four years old.

I looked at my son. Nahuli ko itong nakatitig kay Hailey. Siniko ko ang anak ng bahagya. He looked at me confusedly.

He's mesmerized by her beauty. Who wouldn't? She looks like a doll. She's very beautiful.

"What, Mom?" he asked me.

I didn't answer him and held the little girl's arms. I roamed my eyes around the area to see if there was someone or her relatives looking for her. But to my dismay, I didn't see anyone.

"Where's your parents?" I asked my question earlier.

I looked at Hailey. "They're working po, I was with my nanny earlier but I think I got lost," she answered.

I heaved sigh. I can't leave her here. "Do you want to come with us? Stand by muna tayo sa labas ng convenience store. Maybe your nanny will find you there?" I suggested.

Since doon naman talaga namin siya unang nakita.

She shook her head. "My dad used to tell me not to come with strangers. I'll just wait for my nanny here," she said bravely.

That's good to know. Hindi siya madaling sumasama kahit sino.

"Alright, let's wait for her here. We won't leave you here alone without your nanny." My conscience can't bear the thought of leaving her here alone.

Baka may mangyari pang masama sa kanya. I'm a mother too. I'm sure her parents are already worried about her right now.

She's still a kid. Someone might kidnap her or do bad things to her.

Marami pa namang addict na pagala-gala diyan. Baka mapagtripan pa siya. We looked for a place to sit while we waited for this child's nanny.

I asked her if she knew her father's phone number, but she just shook her head. We have no choice but to wait here.

Pero sumapit na lang ang alas dies wala pa ring dumadating na naghahanap sa kanya kaya naman ay tumayo ako. Naubos na lang namin ang mga ice cream na pinamili namin kanina sa convenience store.