CHAPTER 23

She doesn't need to say it directly to me because I immediately understand what it means based on how she caressed her tummy, which has a little bump that I just noticed... Well, you won't really know or see the little bump if you don't stare at it for a long time.

She weakly smiled when she saw my reaction. A lone tear fell from her eyes. "I-I'm pregnant," she admitted.

The first thing I asked was, "Does he know about it?" She immediately shook her head.

I looked at her confusedly. "Why?" I asked, wondering why she hadn't told him about it.

She lowered her head. "I-I am scared... So scared that he... He might not want a child with me..." She confessed.

Hindi ako nakapagsalita. Because I understand her, I was once in her shoes, but the thing about that time was that I did not know I was pregnant, and Nico clearly told me face-to-face how much he did not want a child with me.

But my situation before and her situation right now are different. Nico might be so happy to hear that news! He will have another child!

Magsasalita pa sana ako ng pareho kaming napahinto ng makarinig kami ng tunog. We both looked at each other and then at the machine and saw a flat line that made me and Riley panic.

Mabilis akong lumapit kay Nico. I looked at Riley. "Call the doctor now!" I shouted in panicked. 

Dali-daling tumango si Riley at lumabas. Ako naman ay sinubukang pindutin and emergency button.

I'm a doctor, but I can't even stand looking at him in that state. I can't do anything but be blank and just wait for the doctor to arrive. I was shaking.

Sobrang bilis ng tibok ng puso ko. Sunod-sunod na nagsituluan ang mga luha ko sa pisngi ko.

Wala akong nagawa kundi ang hawakan ang kamay ni Nico ng mahigpit at tahimik na magdasal.

Ilang minuto lang ay bumukas ang pintuan at niluwa nun ang doctor ni Nico at maraming nurse. Nakasunod ang naluluhang si Riley na nanginig.

I cried while looking at Nico. The doctor immediately instructed something to the nurses and said things that were familiar to me, but I couldn't clearly hear them. I let go of his hands and let the doctor do his thing for Nico.

Para akong nabibingi sa tunog ng flat line.

"Ma'am, labas po muna kayo." Lapit ng isang nurse sa amin at ginaya kami palabas.

Nanghihinang napaupo ako sa upuan sa labas. Tumabi naman si Riley sa akin na puno ng luha ang mukha at napahilamos.

"He can't die... No..." she keep mumbling while crying. “Hindi... Hindi...” hirap na wika niya dala ng iyak.

Naawa naman ako rito at inisip ang sitwasyon niya. She's pregnant, and she's stressed so much.

I hugged her tightly. “Your baby, please calm down. It's not good for your baby,” I sobbed.

“How can I calm down? When he's inside that door with the doctor trying to save him,” she uttered .

Nico, fight. You still have Lucas and an upcoming baby. You have to wake up and be alive. Or else you won't hear your son calling you Daddy. I silently prayed.

“I don't know if ever I'll lost him, Selene...” she said while crying.

I bit my lower lip. Hinaplos ko ang likod nito. “He'll survive this,” I whispered to her, even if I didn't know what was happening inside the room.

“Ang saya niya pa noong na invite siya sa party ng anak mo, Selene. He was really looking forward to it, and he didn't even make it there. He's here... He's here... L-Lying and not even waking up!” she sobbed.