CHAPTER 21

"You look so beautiful, anak." Naluluhang wika ko ng maiwan kaming dalawa ng anak ko sa dressing room. She glanced at me using the mirror and smiled genuinely. Her eyes glistened with tears.

"Thank you, Mommy, for everything and doing this for me," she said softly. "Thank you for giving me this kind of birthday even if I didn't ask for it."

I smiled. "Alam mo naman, anak, gagawin ko ang lahat para sa inyo ng kapatid mo. You deserve this. You gave me light before when I was losing hope,” I softly said.

Humarap ito sa akin at niyakap ako ng mahigpit. She sobbed on my shoulder. "You're the best mom I know. You treated me like your own flesh even if I'm not, Mom, and with that, I'm so grateful that you're the one who adopted me. You made me forget my past and showered me with so much love," she sincerely said.

"You never made me feel less. You love me more than I asked for or imagined. I love you, Mommy. I love you so much. I'm so lucky." Hearing her said that melted something inside me.

Tumulo ang luha ko sa narinig.

Hearing it from your child's mouth that they're lucky to be your parents is more than enough, and my heart is happy for it. Because I always make sure that I'm giving them everything they need. Love and attention, and I'm so happy that I didn't fail them as a mother, even if I'm also dealing with my traumatic past.

For them, I'm a great mom even if I didn't know before how to be a mother and was so afraid that I couldn't be a good mom because I wasn't raised by one.

I didn't regret being a mother to them and raising Lucas, despite how messy my life was. My life becomes so colorful when I have them both. I couldn't imagine my life without them now.

Tinapik ko ang balikat ng anak ng mahina. "Shh... Your make up will be ruin. You have to look beautiful for later." Lumayo ako sa pagkakayakap at pinunasan ang basang pisngi nito.

She pouted and laughed. "Mommy naman eh..."

I stared at my daughter's face. She's beautiful. Very beautiful. Her beauty is something that I will not get tired of staring at because, despite her age, she looks mature, and her beauty can even pass for beauty queen. She's tall too, so I'm sure she has the future of that, but then, I know that's not what she wants. She's more into car racing.

Hinaplos ko ang pisngi nito. "Enjoy this night, anak, just remember that your daddy Steve and I are just with the crowd watching you, okay?" I said softly.

She nodded. She hugged me again.

"I will, Mom."

"Why are you two crying?" Napatingin kaming dalawa ni Solene sa taong bumukas ng pintuan at naabutan si Steve na papasok habang nakakunot ang noong nakatingin sa aming dalawa.

Nagkatinginan kami ni Solene at natawa na lang.

"Come here, Daddy Steve!" Solene called him.

Mabilis namang lumapit si Steve at nagulat ng bigla na lang siyang hinila ni Solene at sinali sa yakapan namin.

"What's with you two?" Steve quizzically asked us. Napabalik-balik ang tingin nito sa amin.

"Wala lang po, Dy. You know, I'm just so happy to have you two as my parents. And Lucas as my brother." Tingala ni Solene kay Steve habang nakayakap.

Steve's eyes softened after hearing it, and he kissed Solene's forehead. “Mahal na mahal ko kayo," he gently said and then kissed my forehead too.

"Where's Lucas?" I asked Steve.

"He's with her grandparents downstairs," he answered.

I nodded. Kumalas ako sa yakapan at ganun din si Solene. She fixed herself, and so did I. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw that my mascara is a little bit mess because of my tears.