Chapter 3- Change of Heart

Dinner went surprisingly smooth, all things considered. With a full belly and a hot shower behind him, Luigi was ready to sleep for as long as he possibly could. It was early, but he didn't care. He was exhausted.

But as soon as he was about to climb into bed, he heard a knock at the door. He rubbed his eyes blearily. "Uh, hello?"

"Don't worry, it's only me!" Goombella chirped as she barged in, unprompted. "Hiya Luigi! Turns out Lord Bowser needs you for one last thing tonight."

"Oh?"

"He decided he needs to practice his proposal to Peach with you."

"Oh?" Luigi repeated, turning a brilliant shade of scarlet. "Wait what?"

"Yup yup! All you need to do is get dressed."

"Get dressed? But I'm already---"

Before he could finish his sentence, three paragoombas flew in, one was carrying a long flowing pink gown, another had a blonde wig, and the last one had a pair of red heels.

"Sorry, Bowser's orders. You need to get out of those peasant overalls pronto."

"But I like my-- wait, has he always had her clothing ready to go?" Luigi wondered aloud. "That's a little

"This was all a very sudden decision." Goombella explained. "Bowser was getting antsy, and then Kamek suggested he dress up as the Princess but then Bowser said he would rather you do it."

"But why does anyone need to dress up?"

"Because dresses are pretty!" She shrugged.

Luigi couldn't deny that. "Let me understand this...Bowser, the big scary monster just so I'm clear, wants me---" He pressed a thumb towards his chest. "Me." He repeated for emphasis. "to dress as the princess so he can practice proposing?"

"Exactly!"

"That's ridiculous, I--- I'm not a princess! I don't even know how to act like one!"

"Don't worry, it's like my old theater teacher told me: Goombella, please stop eating the props."

"How is that going to help me?"

"It'll only be a little while. Just until Lord Bowser builds his confidence. I've never seen him so nervous before, and he seems to like you. Sooooo, are you in?"

Luigi sighed wearily. "Pass me the dress."

Although Luigi had worn dresses before, he had never worn something as elaborate as Peach's. The petticoat was fairly easy, but after that, he struggled to even put on the hoop skirt. The corset was straight up impossible.

He had to begrudgingly ask Goombella for assistance. Despite her not having any arms, she was able to tie the corset until his ribs were sore successfully.

He delicately pressed down on the fold of the dress with his gloves, glancing anxiously around as Goombella fixed his wig. When she finished, she took a step back to admire his new look.

"You look amazing!" She complimented, and she truly meant it.

To his surprise, she was right. The dress was simple, a pale pink shade with a blue and gold gem in the heart shaped bodice. The wig was smooth and soft, and even though it was obvious that he wasn't the Princess, he still felt...pretty.

"We should get going." announced Goombella, who started to usher him out of the room

"Wait!" He protested. "Aren't you going to teach me how to be a princess? Like, um, I don't know...put books on my head? Teach me how to walk in heels? Something like that?"