Chapter 13- Petals & Parchment

Mario had always had a sense for telling whenever something was about to go wrong. It was never an obvious sign, just a subtle uncomfortable sense of dread whenever he did something potentially dangerous. That didn't stop him from attempting to save Brooklyn, later the Mushroom Kingdom and his brother though. He was a risk taker after all, and it all was worth it in the end.

But the night before Princess Peach's party, he had that sinking feeling again. That warning telling him not to go. Instead of it being a sign, it was a nightmare that woke him in a cold sweat. He was used to nightmares, but this one was different. It felt too real. He saw Bowser's blood red eyes and flaming hot breath, and Luigi being ripped away from him, held in the grasp of a hideous beast. Worse, he was unable to do anything about it.

He didn't acknowledge the dream. He ignored it, even though he knew Luigi was aware of them. Part of him wanted it to be just that, a dream that wouldn't affect him or anyone else. So he persisted along with the day and the party, and everything went well. That was, until his dream became a reality.

He had caught Bowser in the act of trying to steal his brother again. At least, that was what it looked like. He could not imagine someone like Bowser simply having a chat with Luigi. So without thinking, Mario had rushed in, ready to fight.

He saved Luigi from Bowser's clutches once again, but even after that, the sinking feeling persisted. Luigi had refused to say a word to him once they returned home, the party now forgotten. That was when Mario knew something was wrong. He had done something wrong.

Ever since Peach's party, Luigi had been acting...off. Nothing too out of the ordinary at first, simply seeming distracted at times, and at worst, blatantly acting aloof around him, which was undeniably out of character. The brothers had never once fought in the more than two decades they had spent together. They were so proud of this fact, that they had bragged about it on their own website. And while now they were not fighting, it was still tense.

Obviously he had asked what was going on, but the results had stayed the same. Luigi would make up an excuse to avoid him, saying he was feeling sick or tired or whatever miscellaneous reason for not wanting to be around him. The truth was, Mario could tell when Luigi was upset and vice versa, and while the latter didn't seem angry, he did spend time staring off into space and even outright ignoring him.

And Mario wanted, no, he needed answers.

Unless he was overthinking, which he probably was. Still, Mario decided to approach him like the adults that they were and talk it out. It was a dreary, drizzly day, and neither of them had plans, so it seemed like the perfect time. Luigi was sitting on an arm chair by the fireplace reading a book.

"Hey..." Mario said, sitting across from him.

Luigi didn't look up. "Hey."

"Whatcha reading?"

"Elvin Gadd's Guide to the Paranormal."

Mario seemed surprised. "Really? You hate ghosts!"

"I do, but I found it in the library and well..." He flipped a page. "I have nothing better to do."

"Do you like it?"

"Ehhh, not really. Too creepy. But it's useful, I suppose. Teaches ya how to get rid of Boos."

"Hmm." Mario sat criss crossed applesauce on the chair. Despite claiming he did not like the book, he was still reading it. Yet another excuse to ignore him, no doubt. "Lu, can I ask you something?"

"You already did."

He ignored the sass and continued. "Are you mad at me?"

Luigi closed his book in astonishment. "What? Why would you think that?"