Chapter 6- Learned the truth too late

He was running out of time.

From the moment he was crowned as king, Bowser knew he had to make difficult decisions. Most of the time they were decisions that he wanted, like conquering a new planet or ransoming a princess for his own gain. But this challenge was far different. For this challenge involved his dreaded emotions.

Emotions that he could no longer deny. Kamek was right, much to his chagrin. He had fallen for Luigi. Hard. He didn't know whether it was the same for Peach, some loneliness that he had never addressed, or some lust for the man.

Definitely not that last one. Sure he found Luigi attractive, handsome even, but lust was too strong of a word. He wanted to keep Luigi safe.

One would assume at first glance that Bowser was a heartless being who had no concept of romance. They weren't entirely wrong. His love life was pretty much nonexistent—as proven by the lack of responses from Junior's biological mother, and now his recent dilemma with Princess Peach. But his outer shell was different from his inner, having a secret love for writing music and poems dedicated to those he had fallen for. It was weak. It was pathetic. But it was who he was.

He had spent time in his room, pacing back and forth and ultimately struggling with figuring out if he should tell Luigi the truth. The truth that his brother had indeed died, and there would be no hope for escape. Normally Bowser would happily oblige to do so. For Jaydes sake, he had laughed in King Penguin's face when he told him that several of his troops had definitely suffered fatally in regards to their last battle. It was partially why stealing their Super Star had been so easy. The other reason was King Penguin's army was incompetent.

But Luigi was different.

Luigi was a kind soul. He knew this from the moment he caught his eye. He was scared, yes, but he was also humble and caring, and even showed sincerity towards Bowser's children. Despite him being held as a prisoner, he still remained positive throughout it.

And even though Bowser would taunt those with such characteristics, he couldn't find it in his cold heart to do such a thing. It would honestly make him feel worse.

Speaking of feeling worse, he knew he couldn't keep hiding his brother's death from him. Kamek's nasally voice screeched in his ear, reminding him that Luigi would soon find out. It was only a matter of when.

So that was two difficult things he had to tell him. Fantastic.

But there was also Junior, who had told him that he liked having Luigi around. He wasn't the only one who did. Larry, Wendy, Lemmy, Morton and Roy had all voiced their approvals in different ways. They desperately craved another parental figure in their life, and he couldn't blame them.

Perhaps there was a way to keep him around and have the truth stay hidden...

It would be risky, but it would be worth it all the same. Hopefully Luigi would understand, maybe come to enjoy the new and improved arrangements.

As he was about to throw on his good suit and top hat, Kammy came flying through his door. "Sire! I bring news!"

"Haven't you ever heard of knocking?" He snapped. "I'm clearly getting ready!"

And thinking of ways to fix his own mess.

"Ah, but there's no need," She smiled brightly. "The Princess has decided to visit the Darklands and try to negotiate with you."

"She- wait what?" He blinked. "Are you serious?"

Kammy nodded in delight. "Indeed!"

Bowser seemed taken aback, but pleased. "I didn't think she would actually come willingly." He clasped his claws together. "This is perfect! I'll propose to her at my castle. I didn't even need to threaten her subjects. Although that isn't off the table yet..." He stopped for a moment. "Did she say why she had a change of heart? I mean, so far she's been pretty unresponsive."