Chapter 18

While the Koopalings were planning their potential trip to the Mushroom Kingdom, the Mario Brothers were blissfully unaware of anything strange or unusual. After Bowser's impromptu visit, everyone seemed a little on edge anyway. Peach had assured the Toads, and Mario himself that Bowser could do no harm, and all he asked was a second chance, but it was hard not to be apprehensive about the whole situation.

Mario had reported everything to Luigi, who was just as surprised to hear about the peace treaty. Someone like Bowser, whose infamous temper was enough to rival an active volcano's explosions turning over a new leaf, was definitely startling---even if he was secretly fond of him.

"I'm worried," Mario said right after he came home. With Bowser gone now, and Peach's reassurance, he made his way back to their cottage to help Luigi with the garden. Crouching down on his hands and knees, he was currently pulling out weeds. "I know he's showing signs of changing, but I can't stop thinking about the what ifs. What if he snaps and decides to take over again?"

"Then we'll stop him," Luigi replied, calm as ever "I don't think he will though. If he was planning something, would he really just show up and then leave like that?"

"Guess not."

"You don't need to worry so much. That's my job."

He smiled weakly. "Ah, you're right. I just...don't trust him. I know he's apologized to you and now the Princess but I can't shake this feeling that he's gonna cause more trouble."

Luigi lifted a plant and gently placed it into an empty spot. All of their vegetables were barely sprouts, and the only fruits that had grown were strawberries. Still, Luigi was quite proud of the garden. They couldn't really garden much back in Brooklyn, so it was a nice change of pace.

He wiped sweat from his brow. "How about this. We give him a chance to at least sign the peace treaty and if he does something bad...or...problematic, we talk with Peach about it."

"And then we fight back."

"Ehhh...sure."

Mario nodded, taking a moment to rest in between weeding, as he sat back on the cobblestone path near the mulch. Luigi joined him shortly after, and the two brothers took in the clear blue skies above them. Aside from the scowling sun, it was a lovely day.

"Hey."

"Hey."

Mario pointed at one of the clouds. "Do you think that cloud looks like a butt?"

He squinted to examine it closer. "Nah. It looks more like a turtle to me."

"What kind of turtles you looking at, Lu?"

"Look, see the top part is its shell," He pretended to draw the outlines of the cloud as it floated away. "and the bottom is its little legs."

"Hmm."

"You don't think so?"

"No, I can kinda see what you mean." Mario replied. "I'm just..." He took off his hat, and started to fiddle with it. "Thinking about other stuff."

Luigi tilted his head curiously, silently asking him to elaborate, which he did.

"Well, it's uh...kinda funny actually," He said, looking away coyly, eyes darting a bit before settling on a lone flower pot. "But do you remember when we went karting?"

Luigi nodded. "Did you ever figure out who won? You or DK?"

"Oh yeah it was definitely me. But no, that's not what I meant. Peach pulled me aside and we talked for a bit."