Chapter 14- The Dream

Luigi never intended to keep Bowser's letter after reading it once. He just simply forgot to put it away. If Mario had seen it, he would have insisted on throwing it away, or burning it with a fire flower. But Luigi didn't feel the need to waste a paper. Especially something so lovely and special.

Lovely wasn't a word that he ever thought he would use for Bowser. He didn't think anyone would have a proper word to describe him that didn't seem negative, haunting, or worse. But something had changed, and whether he would be the one to admit it or not, Luigi was going to get to the bottom of it, no matter what.

Though perhaps he was being silly. After all, Bowser most likely threw away Luigi's letter to him. It was only a letter.

It wasn't just the letter. Even before he received it, he recalled his last encounter with Bowser. Bowser had seemed appalled that he was taken against his will, and had insisted he be brought home. Which he did, personally. Though their discussion was cut short by Mario intervening, it was still...nice.

Not only that, but in the forest, when he had caught a secret glimpse of Bowser as a parent, a goofy dorky dad---it was jaw dropping at how relaxed he was. Not to mention how caring he was towards his children.

Though their last talk Bowser had denied ever being considered sweet, and even Luigi was wary still, no one could deny that Bowser loved his kids. And he had witnessed it with his own eyes.

But he was worried. Worried that something would make Bowser turn against him, choose his dark kingdom over being good. Then what? Was Luigi supposed to move on with his confused feelings forever?

That didn't even scratch the surface of how the kingdom would react if they found out Luigi had kept a secret letter from their sworn enemy. Let alone Mario...

Mario had spent time defending the Mushroom Kingdom, and Luigi over Bowser's actions weren't so easy to forgive. At times he found it hard to accept it himself.

He yawned. He couldn't possibly figure everything out right now. Not when it was late, and he was tired. Sleep sounded nice right about now.

He hid the letter away at last, and got ready for bed.

~☆~

Through the twists and turns of the stony paths, Luigi's only guide was the misty skies leading him around the forest. Occasionally he caught a glimpse of the full moon dipping into view, illuminating the spindly trees that were tall and bony in appearance---- like long claws ready to grab him.

Although he was shaking, he felt a sudden rush of heat from the warm glow of the lava rivers. He knew this place. He no longer knew his way or how he got there, but he knew where he was at least.

The Darklands was a familiar, yet still terrifying environment. Due to him falling through the mysterious warp pipe in the Brooklyn sewers many months ago, it ended up being the first place in the new world that he landed in. This time, he did not have his tools, let alone a flashlight, but thanks to the lava's glow, he managed to find his way. He just had to keep moving. If he stopped, he knew something scary would pop up, like a ghost or a ghoul or a---

A pair of glowing yellow eyes.

Luigi yelped, backing into the nearest tree. Just like before, across from him was a skeletal turtle in the darkness. Its bones creaked when it opened its jaws, but the moment he blinked, it disappeared.

"H- hello?" The tremble in his voice made him wish he could be as brave as Mario for once. Surely after spending some time in the Darklands, he wouldn't be so scared by now.