Chapter 15- This is not Coconut Mall

"Thank you for joining me for tea, Luigi." Peach said, stirring some sugar into her pink cup of chamomile. It was a cheery day in the Mushroom Kingdom, perfect for sipping tea on the castle balcony. The pinnacle of luxury and sophistication. Not to mention he needed to distract himself, and when Peach invited him, he had happily accepted.

"Heh, thanks for inviting me, Princess." Luigi replied, holding his own cup, although he had green tea. It truly was a magnificent spread, not only because of the tea and tiny sandwiches, but the strawberry and chocolate fairy cakes, truffles, eclairs, caramel coated toffees, rose creams and lemon cookies that were being saved for dessert.. Luigi would have to ask Peach if he could snag a few to go----he knew Mario was obsessed with the rose creams especially.

"I know you've been busy. You and Mario both."

He nodded. "Ah ...yeah with plumbing jobs here and in Brooklyn, it's been hard to find time off."

"Well, I'm glad you could join me. It's been a while since we've had one on one time." She smiled softly. Indeed they had spent time together, usually once a week to chat whenever they were both free. They had grown closer as friends in the time, even with Luigi's slight guilt at his first impression with the Princess.

Though he acknowledged this, he still looked troubled, and avoided her stare.

"You know...they say tea calms the mind." She added, sipping hers slowly. "Coin for your thoughts?"

"Ehhh..." Luigi sighed, stirring his tea. "It's just...I was thinking about the first time we met...it was a little awkward."

"You mean when we met on my wedding day?" She gave a very unladylike snort. "I admit it wasn't the ideal way to meet."

"No, I mean--- I was really unkind to you, Princess. I snapped at you."

Peach's eyes went wide. "You don't...think I resent you for that, do you?" He shrugged. "Luigi, I would never! You thought Mario was dead for Grambi's sake, of course you would be in a state! I don't blame you at all."

"I know but that doesn't excuse my behavior!"

"Luigi." Peach stared at him until he met her blue eyes. "You had the right to be upset. You were scared. We all were! But now it's alright. We're all okay. Well, relatively speaking...ah." She frowned, outlining the edge of her cup with her fingernail.

He knew exactly what she was referring to. "Hey, I'm still okay. That whole thing with your party---"

"It never should have happened." She whispered. "I should have known Bowser would come back, I should have at least tightened security! What kind of friend, let alone Princess am I? I let you get captured by that monster---"

"Hey," Luigi stopped her. "Now look who's playing the blame game?"

She gave him a weak smile. "Me, I guess."

There was a long pause as they continued to sip their drinks. "Bowser didn't harm me, you know." He muttered after a long pause.

"What?"

"Mario didn't believe me either. But he actually brought me back himself."

"That's...odd. It's like how he surrendered at our wedding. Thank goodness he did, but still..." Peach took a sip, thinking. "Did he say anything else? Something that would indicate why?"

His cheeks reddened. "Er, no! Nope. Nothing at all." But Peach was sharper than he had anticipated, and she raised an eyebrow in response.

"Is everything okay?" She asked, slow and careful.