Chapter 17

Ludwig Von Koopa always had difficulty trying to find time to practice his music. True, he was a prince with endless privileges and an access to an incredible grand piano, however his royal status seemed to work against his favor. Constantly he was bugged by his younger siblings who simply did not respect his art, or he was bothered by koopa guards and the like telling him where to go and what to do.

It wasn't like any of that trivial nonsense mattered. Despite being the eldest, he wasn't the heir, he was the spare.

As such, when he did find time to practice, it was usually in the early hours of the morning. His father had a piano of his own in the chambers, but Ludwig liked his room best. With no one awake to annoy him, he could play in peace. He started with a traditional classical ballad, claws over the keys before he transitioned into a more bouncy staccato. He hadn't realized the noise he was creating was louder than usual, until his sister Lemmy came trailing in to complain. For once, she was not bouncing on her ball, and was instead holding a plate of eggs and toast.

"Do you have to play so loudly?" she asked.

"I'm not making you listen." He shrugged.

"Yes, you are," Lemmy stomped towards the piano. "You have three speakers. Three! The whole castle can hear you." He knew she wasn't actually angry with him, so he chuckled.

"Speakers amplify everything and make it sound bold and brilliant. I wouldn't expect you to understand my art, dear sister."

She rolled her eyes at his tease, sliding the plate of breakfast towards him gingerly onto the piano. "I didn't say it wasn't good, I like your music but Roy's still asleep an' he was complaining."

He nodded his thanks, then took a bite of toast. "Hm. Well, he always has something to whine about, doesn't he?"

One of Lemmy's pupils darted back towards the wall, while the other stayed put looking at Ludwig as she changed the subject. "Dad told me that there's going to be a meeting today."

"So?"

"So," She pushed him aside gently so that she could sit next to him on the bench. Luckily the smaller koopa could fit. "He wants us all to be there."

"I have plans." He dismissed, returning to his music, but still listening. He didn't really have plans but nobody needed to know that. Ludwig would rather do anything than listen to his father talk about another pointless invasion.

"He said it's important." She said, firmer this time.

"What I'm doing is important. More important than whatever he's doing."

"And what exactly is so important?"

He pressed down a folder filled with music sheets. "Their names are Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. In other words, I don't care."

"Look, I don't wanna go either, but Dad'll be pissed if you miss out again," Lemmy said. "He'll consider you unreliable."

He scoffed. "I'm an adult, I don't care about his opinions anymore. It's not like my presence does anything to make the kingdom anymore."

"Of course it does! You've got excellent leadership skills. And you're like, the only koopaling who takes his job seriously. Most of the time."

"Hmph."

"A lot has changed in the past few months," She added ominously. "If ya know, ya know."

"I hadn't noticed." He lied.

Lemmy slid off the seat. "I'm guessing you're still not going?"

"Nope."

She sighed, nodded, then trotted out of the room to leave him to his music. He did appreciate that she knew when to leave him alone, despite her own energetic nature.