[OLD] New Man

In the process of moving some of my stuff from Quotev to AO3 and noticed I never post this to Wattpad for some reason. It's like a year old and I'm sure written right during, for lack of a better term, a real rough time. So it's not the best.

The tiny raindrops hit the bathroom windows, a pleasant rhyme waving off of them

The tiny raindrops hit the bathroom windows, a pleasant rhyme waving off of them. It was just loud enough for Mac to listen to, alongside the background noise of Doc's quest for the scissors.

It helped reduce the bubbly, excited feeling in his chest though not enough to numb it completely.

The last time Mac did something like this was in the third grade. His hair was always the origin of torment at school, with some kids pulling and yanking his hair that would quickly escalate to a brawl in the middle of playtime. After a bad day that left Mac with a three-day suspension and bruises littering his body, he'll cut his hair all off.

His foster mother chewed him out once she saw his sloppy buzzcut, shouting, quite nasty, and inappropriate words to him. Mac quite enjoyed his time with short hair, not because of the style itself but because adults would confuse him for a boy.

"Ah! Found it!" Doc pulled the scissors out of a white drawer and took his place behind Mac. "You ready son?" Doc asked, the scissors gliding over Mac's hair. Mac looked in the mirror one last time and stared intently at his reflection.

He'll be a new man after this. Mac nodded and closed his eyes, bracing for impact.

Snip

Mac couldn't place the feeling exactly.

Relief? Uneasiness?

But whatever the feeling was, upon seeing the first of many locks of hair, his hair, on the bathroom floor, that feeling turned into an overwhelming buzzing sensation that made his whole body shake.

Doc chuckled at the boy's reaction and tried to get Mac to relax a bit, barely finding success in that. Once he settled down, Mac watched the ground slowly be covered with his black hair, Doc's voice filling the silence.

He's lucky, too damn lucky.

Just a few months ago, he was essentially homeless, beating and getting beat up himself out on the streets. Mac has never been considered great at anything, he just knows how to fight that's all. It never came across in his mind that Doc Louis [a man he looked up to since he could even count], could ever see something so extraordinary about him.

So extraordinary that he's able to put up with Mac's stupid requests such as this.

He's so damn grateful.

"So, what do you think son?" Mac returned to reality and quickly locked eyes with his reflection in the mirror. He reanalyzed his face in the mirror, seeing the damage done to his face more clearly now. He can't figure out if that was positive or negative. His eye was still the nastiest shade of purple, but the swelling on his cheek had gone down slightly. But Mac at least partially knew how his face looked.

It was his hair, all short and surprisingly decent looking that took Mac away. Mac has only been able to cut his hair at shoulder's length, his foster mother's cruel words stung his mind every time he tried to go shorter.

But now?

He barely even remembers her as he enthusiastically slapped his hands against his thighs, the buzzing feeling returning to his body. Louis smiled and ruffled the boy's hair. "Come on son, big day of training ahead of us if you want to get into the minor circuit by this spring." Mac smiled up at Doc, a determined aura engulfing him.

" Mac smiled up at Doc, a determined aura engulfing him

568 Words

For the record, I am so glad I didn't discover Punch-Out till last year cause if I had known it while I was in middle school I know for a fact I would've imprinted on Aran and want his hair lol. (Instead, I imprinted on Sniper - I refuse to talk about how badly this character had and still has affected my tastes in fashion)