4: Butterflies

🎵 Turn on music!

"Rory, you know, one day all of your actions will have consequences and I won't be able to bail you out

"Rory, you know, one day all of your actions will have consequences and I won't be able to bail you out." Abby remarked as she and Rory were sneaking around the back walls of stranger's houses.

Rory shushed Abby. "Yeah, that's only if I get caught. I think you're underestimating me."

Abby rolled her eyes as they sneak over to the next wall. "Are we almost there? My feet hurt."

"Be patient! The trail is up ahead behind those trees. There's a secret safe spot I want to take you to." Rory pointed ahead. She peered out her head beyond the house to make sure no one saw them.

"Are you 100% sure it's safe? I'm scared. There's huge monsters in the forest." Abby gently tugged the bottom of Rory's shirt.

Rory scoffed. "Abby, you're such a scared-y cat. Don't worry your pretty little head, I'll protect you." She ruffled Abby's hair.

They moved to the next house, but this time— 

"Shit!"

The guard dog, a large German shepherd, spotted them from inside its dog house and started furiously barking. It pulled on its long chain, determined to catch the intruders.

"Run!" Rory yelled, grabbing Abby's hand as she started running directly into the woods.

As the two girls passed the force field that surrounded Salem Kingdom to keep the deadly monsters out, they got scratched up by the thorns on the bushes. Their poorly constructed shoes were not meant for hiking in the woods, so each step they took they could feel the rocks hit against the soles of their feet.

Up ahead, there was a clearing. A pond roughly in the shape of a circle was at the center, and trees lined the outskirts of the pond. Rory pulled Abby over to a picnic blanket and a tea set. There's lavender flowers in a vase in the center of the blanket. Two large, pointed rocks sat on outside of both ends of the set up.

"It's beautiful!" Abby gasped. "When did you have time to do all of this?"

Abby narrowsed her eyes. "How many times have you snuck out here on your own? And in an extremely dangerous forest, I might add."

"Shhh... that's not important right now." Rory booped Abby's nose. "Isn't it so peaceful here? Whenever I'm stressed, I always come here and it makes me feel better."

"I didn't think you of all people ever got stressed." Abby looked down at her feet as she kicked around small rocks with her shoes that are now in pretty rough condition.

"Everyone gets stressed, silly." Rory motioned for Abby to lay down next to her on the blanket. They sat on opposite sides of the vase. Rory pointed up towards the blaring sun.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't a sheep. Everyone else thinks this place is so normal, and they don't question anything! But I just can't help my curiosity. Something  feels off about this place. And I will figure out what it is."