14: Hit and Run

🎵 You'll really want to turn on the music for this one...

Salem's POV

☆━━━━━ Salem's Witch ━━━━━━☆

A single arrow sliced through the air with unwavering focus— aimed directly for Aurora's chest.

The slender shaft, crafted from metal that gleamed from the sunlight overhead, moved with almost supernatural speed. Its fluttering, feather tail battled against the force of its propulsion. Swirling and weaving through the air, the arrow narrowed in on its target. Each ounce of the archer's strength and precision was woven into the fabric of its very existence. Time seemed to stand still in the arrow's wake, blurring the greenery of the forest surrounding it.

Aurora didn't notice it coming.

Without hesitation, Salem slammed her arms into her friend's side, abruptly pushing her to the ground. The impact resonated with a bone-jarring thud. A sharp cracking of twigs under her weight interspersed with the rustling of foliage echoed a suspenseful symphony. Aurora gasped for breath, feeling as though life itself had been drained out of her. Her safety on the forest floor left Salem helpless as the arrow barreled ahead.

As it penetrated the skin of her arm, electric jolts of pain coursed through her veins. The initial sensation burned like a relentless inferno and spread with a ferocious intensity. Salem let out a shriek that only a dying animal could produce as the metallic scent of crimson mingled with the air. Blood welled up at the sight of the wound, the dripping saturating the leaves below. Her breathing became laborious. As her trembling hand reached out to touch the arrow imbedded in her left arm, her fingers encountered the gruesome state of her injury. Salem grit her teeth as another round of pain shot through her body. Black spots lined her vision.

"Salem, get down!"

Aurora desperately pulls Salem down behind a nearby bush, hiding them from the archer's view. She grasps Salem's mouth shut, chilling tears soaking her hand. Salem's body tenses as she feels Aurora's rapid heart rate against her back. A branch breaks from the stomp of their attacker quickly approaching.

The top of the bush is pulled back, revealing the face of a disgruntled, middle-aged man with a suspicious look that could kill. His curly, purple hair contrasted against his brown, rugged skin. Salem wonders what it would feel like to trace the intense scars marring his forehead. She watches in horror as his muscular, hairy arms pull back another arrow, threatening to shoot once again.

"You have five seconds to explain your trespassing unless you want an arrow to the head." The corner of his mouth raises, his broad figure towering over the girls. "I have a perfect shot."

Aurora mutters an incantation, her voice trembling with an ancient power. With every word that left her lips, a faint glow emanated from the ground beneath her. It started out as a dim light, barely visible on the forest floor, but grew to a protective sanctuary enveloping her and Salem. Salem notices the new symbol tattooed on Aurora's hand.

"I need your help." Aurora pleads, glancing between the stranger and her friend bleeding out in front of her.

The last thing Salem heard before succumbing to her injuries were Aurora's cries.