3: Is Your Bedroom Ceiling Bored?

🎵 Music reminder!

A year had passed since their first meeting

A year had passed since their first meeting. Rory's eyes locked onto Abby in the very spot where they had first met, her heart skipping a beat at the sight of her. The tantalizing aroma of freshly baked pastries wafted through the air, enveloping the quaint bakery in a warm embrace. Their favorite spot was nestled within a narrow, winding cobblestone street.

A palpable sense of eeriness settled upon the street as though something was not quite right. It was like the village itself was holding its breath, in contrast to the children's rose colored glasses. While the world they resided in was dark and foreboding, the girls ignorantly lived in their happy facade, unaware of the challenges that lie ahead.

Abigail, a ten year old little girl, radiated new found confidence and happiness in comparison to the shaking, anxious child she once was. She held her chin up high to the sky and carried herself with the strength she once lacked. She grinned when she spots Rory skipping towards her. Without hesitation, Abby raced towards Rory, immediately hugging her tightly.

"I'm so excited!" she exclaimed.

Rory squeezed her back, finding the warmth of their embrace to be very comforting. As always, she had a chipper attitude that while some may find annoying, it eventually grew on them, inspiring the grim villagers to see the good in their lives.

"Me too! Are you nervous?" Rory asked, tilting her head to the side in anticipation for Abigail's response.

She shrugged her shoulders. "A little bit yeah. But with you and Salem by my side, I know I can accomplish anything." A bright smile lights up Abby's face.

Despite their first encounter, Rory, Abby, and Salem had grown close as friends. While Rory noticed Salem's apprehension towards Abby, she chose to focus on the bond they had formed.

"You got this!" Rory said a touch too loudly, a familiar quirk of hers.

In the backdrop of their conversation laid the bustling crowd of the village. Everyone carried on with their mundane routine for the day. The children laughing, the employees grumbling about their jobs, and the stay at home moms buying groceries for her family— yet all of them made sure to keep a careful eye over their shoulder. Paired to each conversation was its own eavesdropper, monitoring the words coming out of the people's mouths. A wrong step, a whispered conversation out of place, and the consequences would be severe.

"Where's Salem?" Abby asked, scanning the surroundings.

"She's probably late as usual. This princess acts like she's sooo much better than us, but she is never even on time. How rude!" Rory rolled her eyes, not hiding the annoyance in her voice.

"I don't get why you think she's so rude. She's actually kinda cool."

"Whatever you say." Rory playfully poked Abby's head.