12: Good Little Girl

🎵 Friendly music reminder! :)

Salem's POV

☆━━━━━ Salem's Witch ━━━━━━☆

"Aurora! Give me the map already!! Your sense of direction sucks ass," Salem complains at Aurora, pulling on the bottom of their only way to find Doctor Damien while nearly tearing it.

"Shut up, Salem! I know what I'm doing. Back off!" Aurora elbows Salem in the side.

"We've been practically going around in circles for the past hour, idiot!" Salem pinches Aurora's cheeks.

She slaps her hand away from her face and blushes in rage. "N- no! Look, that house is definitely new,"

Salem scoffs and face palms. "I can definitely tell you've spent most of your life roaming around in the woods..."

"Well, I know that forest like the back of my hand! So fuck off and let me figure this out on my own," Aurora flips the map around and uses her finger to trace the path to Doctor Damien's secret hideout. She narrows her eyes, confidently concentrating on her goal.

Salem ruffles up Aurora's hair and then snatches the map while she's distracted. "It's getting dark. There's an inn up ahead- let's call it a night, okay Rory?"

"Ugh, why do you keep calling me Rory! I'm not a little kid anymore!" Aurora grumbles to herself.

Salem boops! Aurora's nose and stares into her eyes with a teasing smirk. "Cause you're cute when you get mad,"

This comment leaves Aurora speechless. Salem grabs her friend's hand and drags her over to the inn.

There's a long line going outside of the inn. Salem looks around to the other buildings, trying to see if she can find a solution to the problem she's predicting will happen. While Aurora may not be aware, the homelessness problem has increased in Salem Kingdom especially since the witch trials displaced many family members. The young noble fears they may not have stopped wandering around the village soon enough to find a room for the night.

When they finally get up to the front of the line, the two girls meet the obviously tired innkeeper. Her clothes are stained and she quickly fakes a smile to cover up her resting bitch face once she makes eye contact with them. Customer service mode activates.

"Hi ladies! You're here pretty late at night. It's only 15 minutes until we close up," The innkeeper greets them, not hiding the menace in her voice very well. "Unfortunately, we only have one more room available, and it's reserved for a couple,"

Damn it, she must have heard Rory and I arguing in line earlier. How are we gonna pull this one off?

While Salem is busy imagining what it's like to have to sleep outside instead of on her comfy, top quality mattress, Aurora has an idea.

She stands up her tippy toes and wraps her arm around Salem's shoulders, pulling her in close. "That's perfect! Me and my wife are traveling the world for our honeymoon. You wouldn't believe how clumsy Salem is. Isn't it crazy how she already forgot to bring her ring with us and left it at home? Haha, that's my girl,"

Salem gives Aurora a dirty look, waiting for her to explain herself. Aurora smiles, trying to communicate to Salem to just go along with her plan.

The innkeeper raises her eyebrow at this story but isn't in the mood to call out someone's bluff, so she lets them have the room.

As they're walking into their room, the innkeeper mutters, "Who names their kid Salem..."

Once Salem and Aurora get to their 'honeymoon room', the tension in the room is palatable. They've stopped arguing for once and are met with unnerving silence. The biggest issue at the moment is that they have barely reunited and now... there's only one bed to sleep on.

Salem breaks the silence. "So... what was that all about?"

"I swear to the Head if I would've had to sleep outside again I would've torn out my own heart instead," Aurora shivers remembering her time slumbering with the wolves.

"Pft, nerd," Salem chuckles.

It goes quiet again, and Aurora yawns. All of a sudden, she pushes Salem onto the bed.

"Prissy little princess, have the bed. I don't like owing anyone any favors," Aurora explains, creating her own makeshift bed out of the extra blankets on the floor.

"Goodnight, Rory,"

"Night, Salem,"

A young, freckled red head with her hair tied into ringlets walks across the plank on Gallows Hill. With each step, the wood creaks, threatening to snap any second. She whistles and whistles, one foot at a time.

Before she gets to the edge, she turns around to face Rory. Her chest has been sliced open, and her heart dangles from its cavity. Abigail narrows her eyes once she sees Rory standing opposite to her on the plank. She returns back to Rory's side, throwing her hands into Rory's shoulders and shaking them about.

"Rory, why did you do this to me? It's all your fault! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Abigail screams, her face completely distorted.

Salem shakes Aurora awake as Aurora mutters the last words of Abby to herself. She's shaking uncontrollably, barely conscious at this point.

"It's all my fault! It's all my fault," She cries.

"Shhh... Rory it's me, Salem. It's okay, you're all okay now," Salem says, feeling like a hypocrite as each word exits her mouth.

Salem places Aurora's hand on Salem's chest, taking slow and deep breaths. "Breath in, 1... 2.... 3... 4.... hold 1... 2... 3... 4.... exhale..."

With Salem's help, Aurora's panic attack begins to subside. She helps her friend up and tucks her into bed. Salem climbs over top of her to get to the other side of the bed and shuts off the lamp. She hovers over her face, wiping off the sweat from her forehead. She looks down to her lips, but then turns around and pulls the covers over top of herself.

In the morning, the blanket is falling off of their bed and their legs are wrapped together comfortably.

Their faces are so close, that one wrong move...

☆━━━━━ Salem's Witch ━━━━━━☆

Author's Note: Love a good trope haha :)

Question: What's your favorite trope?

Title Song: Good Little Girl from Adventure Time, a special YouTuber rendition