Chapter 15 - A day out with Sunshine

This morning I woke up feeling a bit so-so. I had woken up in the middle of the night to cry. I luckily didn't wake anyone up. This did however lead to my face being all puffy in the morning. Thanks a lot brain.

Once I had put on my ghoulette uniform I went to eat breakfast.
Turns out that the 'church' usually served food in a cafeteria-like room. The food was much better though. Well, at least for the humans.
As a ghoulette, my diet looked a bit different.

I'd guess that ghouls are immune to food-related diseases, as none of the ghouls were afraid of getting salmonella or ecoli from the, usually raw, meat we'd be served. They served spices and sauces too, but most of the ghouls didn't seem to take any. My first weeks I'd eaten human food, but a ghoul named Pebble explained that I needed the raw meat to "grow big and strong". That was hilarious to me and everyone else who heard because Pebble was pretty tiny.

Us ghouls had our own tables. They're sometimes a bit rowdy though, and I'm too scared ro sit down with the older ghouls. Some reached up to seven or eight feet tall. Frickin' terrifying I tell you.

I sat on the floor in a corner of the room. Other days I'd probably decide to sit with some younger sisters, but my carnivorous diet and my meekness stopped me from doing so. No, if people wanted to socialize with me then they'd have to approach me first.

Some may call my tactics useless or a waste of time, and I can assure you that I'm aware of it's flaws.

I was just chewing on the piece of chicken I'd been served when a familiar ghoulette approached me.

"Oh by Lucifer, Stardust! Hi, Hello!" Sunshine said as she sat down beside me. "So, I was thinking. We haven't exactly hung out. Like ever." I looked at her, confused. I slowly nodded, expecting whatever came next to be a bad idea. "So why don't you join me in the local town!" It seemed more like a "you're joining" than a "do you want to go" but I didn't really mind.
"Sure" I replied in a soft voice.

——————————————

Sunshine brought me to the local town. It was about three kilometers away from the ministry. She hadn't really said if we actually were allowed to go, so I was getting a bit stressed about that.
The people in the town seemed surprised to see more ghouls out, as they were only used to seeing Sunshine walking around.

At one point we decided that sitting on a small churches roof would be a good idea. Yeah, smart, I know. We sat there talking until some little kid noticed us and pointed it out. Not enough with just sitting on the roof of a church, my tail was out. Extra smart.

We ended up jumping off the roof, landing on our feet without any scratches. Ghouls really are like cats, huh?
My main problem was just how much my back hurt once I landed and once I came down from the roof.

We were sadly not able to eat anything. I'd expect the townspeople to be concerned watching two teenage girls give themselves food poisoning.

"Hey, Sunshine?" I hesitantly decided to ask the one question stuck in my mind for the whole day. "Are we even allowed to randomly leave the church and go terrorize the townspeople?" She stopped in her tracks for a quick second before staring at me with an expression screaming "oh shit".

"So...about that." She started "I might've forgotten to ask Papa..." I panicked. My back started hurting even more.
We both decided that our best chance at not getting skinned alive was to head back immediately.

—————————————

His gloves. Unholy fucking shit his gloves. The golden claws kept tapping against the table, making noise as he looked at us. It felt like I had gotten in trouble at school again.

"And why exactly were you in town without informing me first? I would've let you, fantasmi*". The voice of Papa Emeritus III was heard through his office.

"I could let it slide if it was only Stardust, but you, Sunshine? You've been here for years, should you not be familiar with the rules at this point of time?" He had a bit of an accent, but it wasn't a Swedish one. He has that kind of sassy tone to it as well.

All I could feel was embarrassment. The townsfolk had apparently complained about "two reckless idiots sitting on the holy building". The ministry probably went through enough shit already, especially with a christian town a few kilometers away.

"Yes, the area around the ministry is pretty abandoned, let's be honest," Papa started"but that doesn't mean you can run around into town like crazy idiots." I was looking down at the floor, but I could feel his eyes piercing through me.

"Now, I really just don't want to make Sorella Imperadroni** upset at me. If I had any control over the situation I'd give you a pass, but Sorella is more strict than I am", he lectured us.

"So...What're the consequence?" I cautiously asked him. Finally looking up   ar his face. "Guess who'll have to forge my signature~!" He said in a sing-songy voice. Insinuating that we'd have to sign paperwork or something similar. Both Sunshine and I sighed before Papa stood up to get something. He came back after about five minutes, holding mounds of papers and binders.

This was going to be a long evening.

A/N

*Fantasmi = ghosts
**Sorella Imperadroni = Sister Empress

Please inform me of any spelling mistakes!!