Chapter 1-The Blast

I was in my office reading the book named 'Taking Control', although no one read that book because it was neither part of syllabus nor any of its content was in practice. I could hear the murmurs of fake crying dummies as background noise. That noise used to potentiate my concentration on studies.

Going against the trend is my passion. If the trend is long hair I will make a boys cut. If the trend changes to short hair I will let my hair grow long. And if its both I will prefer baldness.
I have never put any efforts in mending with communities. My interactions have always been based on need, either for me or for the other person. Travelling is easy, so I don't travel. I only travel when needed.
The infinity of knowledge provides me the motivational drive to look for more, to find more. I even chose my career in order to study more and interact less. I am a shame for the psychiatrists community.
My name is Tarika. I was born in Calcutta, an Asian city. I graduated from my home town. After completing MD I traveled to Australia for specialization.
The university was located in an artificial forest and there were least number of students.

Takk takk, the door knocked and my colleague Sam entered the room singing, "tan ta daan!" wearing a cow boy hat, sunglasses on, sky blue t-shirt, brown pants and a wide smile on face. He had a basket in one hand and an umbrella in the other. "Come on let's go we're going out for picnic" he beckoned with the umbrella.

" I am sorry Sam but I need to study, you guys enjoy" I refused.
I never liked the idea of going out or partying. But Sam insisted, " oh you're always studying, we don't even have exams soon".

With this my other colleague Gabriel entered the room, long black curly hair white shirt with red check shrug and blue pants also wearing the hat and another in her hand. Came to me and put the hat on my head, " you're coming with us, let's go".

I looked up at my cowboy hat disgusted, made my fellows feel worse but they ignored my facial expression " let's go we're taking a breath out" Gabriel insisted.
"Aren't you already breathing in here too?" I tried to mock.
She grabbed my arm, pulled me with her exclaiming "how are you going to fix someone else's brain when you can't fix your own!!" Gabriel and Sam chuckled together.
"What's with the cowboy hat" I freed my arm from her, fixing my hat. She smiled and rolled her eyes " it's cool".

No matter how hard I tried to pretend like I didn't care, I did love their presence and lame jokes that they laughed too much at. And the best thing about them was, they beared my ice cold nature. So I was less repulsive to them.

They used to call me odd because I never wanted to do things that normal people would. My extra crave for studying had always kept an information gap between me and my colleagues, even though it was unnecessary. But still they were so sweet and caring due to Lack of people around.

We were walking through the woods , highly organized that calling it a forest is a stretch.

Watching Gabriel and Sam fight for who's going to hold the basket every time we go out for picnic had always been fun.

After about half an hour we heard a loud explosive sound. It was too loud for us that all three of us held our ears and cried in pain. Within few seconds our attenuation reflex(an automatic protective effect in response to loud noise) impaired our hearing.

Everything in the surrounding seemed vibrating including our own body. I could feel my earlobes moving to and fro and my fingers shivering. My feet couldn't hold the ground and the severity of headache was boosting.

We ran back to the place where normally our university was supposed to be present but here what we saw was an ancient civilization, a small town just below our university and the university itself was burnt into ashes that no signs of it were left! Streets , homes , shops and even a palace in the center looked so organized and sophisticated.

Everyone near the explosion had died, even disappeared. As I was observing the ancient city my headache went out of my bearing capacity. Gabriel and Sam had already fallen. So I too collapsed. The ambulance sirens and people panic started to fade away and the scene got blurred.

A/N: Do vote and comment 🥰