Chapter 3

"Dylaaaan, time to wake up!!!! My baby boy, rise and shine!"

Dylan recognized that loving voice and that strong back nudge all too well. He stretched out his arms and slowly opened his eyes. It had been ages since he felt this good. He actually slept well last night.

He couldn't remember any details, but he was sure he didn't have his usual nightmares because his body felt so relaxed and well-rested. He couldn't remember the last time he felt and slept this well.

"I am so sorry, Dylan! I have to wake you up, it's 10 am already. I didn't want to wake you, but you told me last night you need to be up at 10 am at the latest."

Dylan just sheepishly smiled. He didn't even have it in his bones to get upset that his sleep was cut short. Nanay Sue had always been his early wake up calls for as long as he can remember. How can he even get mad at her, not only has she been his personal alarm clock, but she has also been his "Michelin-star" chef, color-blind stylist, his comic relief, his loudest cheerleader, and best of all she has been the only mother figure, that one constant, all throughout his life.

All of a sudden, it dawned on him that she is leaving him - well, just for a few months.

Dylan shuddered at the thought of her leaving.

"Nanay Sue, do you really need to have that hip surgery? You don't need it." Dylan smiled mischievously.

"Do you see this?" Nanay Sue moved her hips like a belly dancer as she handed Dylan a plate of his favorite breakfast - medium well steak and sunny side up eggs.

"These ol' hips won't bring all the boys to the yard, my baby boy."

"Eeew, please don't say stuff like that ever again! Proud of you though with that Kelis reference - whose playlist have you been listening to, huh?"

Nanay Sue rolled her eyes as she handed him his freshly squeezed orange juice. "No, Dylan. I really need this fixed. When you get to my age, you will understand. Everything hurts when you get old."

He knew what she meant - he has noticed how she would just wibble and wobble when she walked around the house. She was not getting any younger and he knew she was right.

"I will just be gone for four months and besides, do you think I'll leave you on your own? To fend for yourself?" Nanay Sue shook her head in disbelief.

"If I leave you to your own devices, you will either starve or be a zombie, or better yet, both! Listen, I have asked around already and I have been in touch with some of my cousins from the province. Don't worry, I won't leave you with someone who cannot be trusted."

Dylan almost choked on his steak when Nanay Sue mentioned that she has been searching for her temporary replacement.

"You don't have to do this Nay, I am fine on my own. Promise, I won't starve, I can just order takeout or have food delivered. Well, as for the other, I can't promise that I won't be a zombie by the time you get back." He managed to say in between bites of his breakfast.

Just as Dylan took the last bite of his steak and eggs, Nanay Sue's cellphone vibrated.

She took her phone out of her pocket and read the text message she received.

"Well, isn't this fate...we've got a taker!"