Chapter 12

"Tori, really? You picked today, of all the days, to 'come out' to Dylan?!" Manang Susan scolded Tori as she pinched one of his ears. 

"Manang, today is THE best day to do it! Sir Dylan was such in a good mood. And didn't you hear him? He already knows. I just had to address the elephant in the room, you know." Tori retorted. 

"How can you tell he was in a good mood, hmm?"

Tori didn't speak, he just pointed to Ballsie with his mouth. "I think we both know why, Manang." 

"Hey, don't drag me into your mess Ate Tori," Ballsie chuckled. "You are too much! You had been picking on me the whole day!"

"You know Ballsie, you are the little sister I never had," Tori stood up from his seat and gave Ballsie a playful headlock.

"Ok, you two stop it! Ah Ballsie, why don't you call it a night and get ready for bed. I know it's been a long day for you. Tori and I will clean up."

Ballsie let out a sigh of relief. She was literally running on low by the time they all finished dinner. All she wanted to do now was to take a shower, get in her bed, and sleep. Ballsie looked at Manang Susan with a thankful grin. 

"Manang, you just don't know how much you've made my night. Ok, I'm going to take a shower now and head to my room. It's where Ate Tori put my duffle bag, right?" 

Manang Susan looked at her straight-faced and replied, "Your belongings will stay in the guest room, but you will be sleeping in Dylan's room starting tonight. I will be with you, don't worry. Think of it as a dry run." 

Ballsie heard every single word Manang Susan said, but only one word registered in her brain and summed up what she felt like doing at that moment - RUN. She wanted to run far, far away. All of a sudden, she did not want to get ready for bed. She knew Manang Susan felt her hesitation because she froze and did not move an inch. 

"Don't tell me you don't feel comfortable, Ballsie!  I told you even before you got here that sleeping in the same room with him is a big part of your job. Dylan really needs us, needs you. Please Ballsie, don't be difficult. And don't you just want to get it all over with? At least, you will be with me. This will help and prepare you, remember I will not be here starting on Thursday." 

"No Manang. I was just caught off guard, but I don't have any problems with our agreed set-up. Ok po, I will just take a quick shower then shall I go wait for you here?"

"I hate lying," Ballsie thought to herself. "But Manang is right, I knew from the start what I was getting myself into."

"No, just go straight to Dylan's room. Get yourself situated." 

"Great, things just keep getting better!" Ballsie silently moaned to herself. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ballsie took a shower longer than usual - she was not sure if she took the time because the cold shower felt really good after a long, eventful day or because she was stalling the inevitable. She looked at herself in the vanity mirror in the room and gave herself a little pep talk as she brushed her hair. 

"You can do this. Remember, your family needs the money. You're just going to sleep, easy peasy. What else is there? Breathe in, breathe out Ballsie. You can do this." 

Before leaving the room, she looked at the pajama set she was wearing. She had a cotton pajama top with Sailor Moon on it and a cotton pajama pants with Sailor Moon's cat, Luna printed all over. When she packed her things, she thought it was a good idea to bring this particular pajama set, but now she was second guessing her decision. 

"Sir Dylan will laugh at me. I look like a kid." She rolled her eyes just thinking about his reaction to what she was wearing. 

"Wait, why do I even care what he'll think of me. Ballsie, get your act together, ok? Here we go!" 

Ballsie opened the door of the guest room and headed to Dylan's room. She could still hear Manang Susan and Tori in the kitchen so she knew that she would be alone with Dylan. She got to his door and took a deep breath before knocking lightly. 

"Ahem, Ahem. Sir Dylan, knock, knock. It's me po. Manang told me that I will be sleeping with you tonight." Ballsie instantly regretted the words that came out of her mouth. It didn't sound quite right. 

She waited and expected for him to respond, but it was dead silent. Ballsie felt relieved that he didn't hear her knock and he didn't hear what she said. 

"Ok, let's try this again. Ballsie, word it differently. Say, 'Sir Dylan, I'm here to make sure you sleep ok and to wake you if you have nightmares.' Ok Ballsie much better, say that." Ballsie quietly said to herself. 

Just as she was about to knock, the door suddenly opened, and Dylan greeted her with a naughty smile. 

"Hello, nice to see you again. Come on in."