✰ | twelve ;

"Shit, it's hot as fuck." I complain, leaning back against the seat. I pull my muscle-tee from my body in quick movements, fanning myself with the air. Gaz tips his head back, tilting his face up to the sun. "I wanna go back to Central and the cloudy days."

"That's what weak recruits say."

"Shut up." I groan, wiping sweat from my forehead. Were we in the literal ninth circle of hell? The sun was blazing hot, beaming down on us with some sort of serious vendetta. Maybe it was the fact that it was a cardio day with the Ghost Team, that's why it decided to fuck us all personally over. My skin felt sticky, my throat dry even through the hundreds of gallons of water I downed. "You're acting like you weren't just begging Price to let us get ice cubes." He rolls his eyes, before shrugging.

"Weak." He repeats, just as I watch Ghost jog alongside Soap and past us. "Are you two still fighting?" I scoff, before shoving him off the bench and onto the ground. He tips over, legs sticking up in the air and I burst out laughing. I stand up, just as Gaz's head pops up on the other side of the bench. "Canary, you--" He yells and I take off, onto the track.

He chases after me and I gasp for air, giggles spilling out of me as he gains on me. "It was an--" I passed by Ghost and Soap, sprinting for my life. "Accident!" I dodge past Rudy and use Alejandro as a shield. Gaz stops with his heel, slipping slightly, before standing before the two of us with his arms spread.

"Come here, if it was an accident, come here," I let out a nervous laugh and Alejandro shakes his head at us. Gaz circles around him and I move with each step, retreating from him at every chance.

"Alright, kids, that's enough. It's way too hot to be playing around like this." Price appears from literally nowhere and I nod in agreement. Gaz shakes his head at me. "Come on in, boys. Gaz, I need you clean and in my office immediately. And Canary, since you've taken the liberty of..." He gestures toward the other soldier's back, now literally covered with dried grass and sand. I muffle a laugh with a cough. "Anyways, clean up the marker flags and then come in."

I salute him, grinning. Gaz gives me a commanding nod and I scowl at him. Soap gives me a thumbs up as he walks by and Ghost knocks shoulders with me. I bite my tongue from yelling something that would scar all of the team for the rest of time and resort to flipping him off from behind. So petty.

Gosh, what's it going to take for him to get over it? I spin around and I hear someone's footsteps stop and turn around. Then turn back around, and keep walking.

Probably Gaz trying to rub in his free-pass from punishment. I step toward the first flag, pulling it out of the ground. The sunlight was strong, beating down on me like a million daggers. "Hah, I miss the weather in Central." I shield my eyes and stare up at the sun. "This is too much, even for me." I walk to the next flag, prying it from the trodden earth. The red-orange flags flapped as a warm breeze drifted by, cooling me slightly. I get the last one, swooping down, but a sudden dizziness rises in me.

I sniffle, the third flag in hand, blinking rapidly. Ooh shit, heatstroke? A liquid drips down my nose and I wipe at it, letting out a frustrated groan. Blood. I pinch my nostrils, getting up and cutting off the bleeding. I sigh. "I fucking hate this weather."

- - -

"Hallo," I sip the iced tea, after literally having to wrestle my share of ice cubes out of Ghost's hands. Konig's eyes crinkle from behind his mask, his gear certainly cut down a bit. He looks like he's heading to another one of our weight lifting sessions, but isn't.

"Hey, big guy." I wave, fanning myself slightly. "How do you survive behind that mask?" He sits next to me with his tray of food, before shrugging his shoulders.