✰ | thirteen ;

"Ooh, it's over. My life is over, everything is—" Ghost presses the bandaid onto my arm, giving me an unamused look. I was discharged from the medic ward about an hour ago, and a certain Lieutenant had the privilege of getting me up and out of there. The IV needle was a relief to get out, if I had it in me for another second, I swear I would've just fainted on the spot. "—everything is bad." His expression is its usual brooding, irritated look. 

"Stop whining." He smoothed it out against my skin, crinkling the wrapping in his hands.

"Whining? I'm not whining, I'm stating facts." I rub my shoulder, frowning. Simon stares at me for a second before blowing out a breath. "This can't be right... there's no way I'm healthy already right?" That much blood. We both remember it, and I know, from the wariness in his eyes, he's also wondering. 

"The medic said that you should be fine to go, just nothing too tiring." He seems like he's convincing himself. I blink, before shrugging and laying back on the bed. I place a hand on my forehead, mumbling nonsense. "Stop being so dramatic, it's barely just a needle—"

"Yeah, the size of fucking brick. You're always so pushy and mean and grumpy—"

He stands up and rolls his eyes, his sass transmitting perfectly through his skull balaclava. Actually, I think that it's emphasized through it, like a megaphone. "I don't like you." Ghost's blatant comment makes me scowl at him, his back turned to me as he tossed away the trash.

I respond quickly, choosing the easiest response in the book. "Well, I don't like you either!" I huff, jabbing a finger at his back. He straightens up, before turning quickly to acknowledge me. There's a deep confusion in his eyes and he's suddenly right next to my medical cot. His fingers knot against the bed sheet unconsciously, to which I raise my arm as the fabric drew taunt. 

"What? Why?" His voice is different this time, no longer dripping sarcasm. I look at him, furrowing my brow before shrugging my shoulders. Well, well, uh...

"You're not my type."

"What? What do you mean by that?" Ghost pulls at the sheet, having dropped his sarcastic nature and centered all of his attention on me. "Canary, what's your type?"

"Uh, you know, the earnest, knight-in-shining-armor type, yeah," I say, completely improvising my response into the first thing I can think of.

"I'm earnest." I stare at him for a second, before bursting out laughing. Really, the Ghost, trying to cozy up to me? This is new, definitely new, but definitely not unwelcome. Something flashed through his eyes and he grumbles, sliding a hand against his mask and dragging it down. "You're pretty fucking annoying."

I get up, wrapping two arms around his waist from behind. He goes rigid, raising one of his arms to give me a questioning look. "You think I'm pretty?" I gasp, and he squashed a hand on my face, peeling me away from his side. "Mph, hey, no way to treat a patient."

He stops, before moving his hand away to inspect my face. He pesters and prods, at my cheeks, my ears, my eyes. "Do you smell blood?"

"Yeah, in your veins. I'm a vampire."

"Fuck off."

- - -

I pat Konig's shoulder and he turns to look at me, eyes immediately lowering. "Hallo." I nod, glancing at the board he was looking at. His arms were crossed in some concentration that I couldn't discern, focusing intently on the information we had compiled. He was rested back, almost leisurely, just reviewing the next points of interest. 

"Where next, big guy?" From the church... to where? "Are we still looking for information?" I had missed a meeting while I was out, and the debriefing was completely lost to my illness. Another thing about the military--even when I was sick, the missions were still going on.