✰ | fifteen ;

"Next time, turn your goddamn mics off."

My jaw drops, having finally put some of the gear back on. Konig was still unloading some of our stuff, carrying in a big cardboard box. Unsuspecting, definitely still blushing from our little... incident. Cute, very cute. 

Maybe it was better to not tell him... The operator would literally freak out if he knew that someone else was also listening in. Or... would he like it? "Did uh, did anyone else hear?" Price. I mean Price. The only other soldier who could've been active in our line. 

"No. I disconnected him. He was busy." I let out a breath, my shoulders immediately relaxing. I rub my forehead, just as a bubbling laugh escaped my lips. "Have you finally gone mad?" That--that was risky. Definitely, a different type of risk, one that would've gotten me and Konig separated probably. Price was lenient about our relationships--it was obvious--but I'm definitely sure that he wouldn't like it. 

Especially when all he knows is that Ghost and I are together. Not only would I be an unfaithful partner, but I would also've been someone who literally jumped her teammate. A laugh leaves me. 

Funny, somehow this was all hilarious. And bizarre, weirdly bizarre. "It's weird that I'm talking to you about, well, you know—"

"Sucking the bloody life out of him?" Another laugh bursts from me and I cover my mouth. Ghost sighs and I know that if he were here, he would be giving me the deadliest glare of my life. "Look, if you want to fool around, you can. But don't let your guard down, it might be a safe zone, but circumstances have changed."

Konig sets a glass of water in front of me, looking at me briefly. I tilt my head to return his stare and his eyes widen, for a millisecond. He spins around, scrambling quickly out the door to get more things from outside. Aw, is he all shy now? "What happened?"

"Graves had contact with Sigil. I'm hearing about Shadows hiring civilians to gather information." I nodded, tilting my head as I scanned the environment outside my window. Was there anyone watching us right now? I grip the side of the curtain and yank, sliding it completely across.

"I'll be careful, Ghost. You too, okay?" He gives me a responding grunt, not necessarily a reply, but good enough. I laugh again, crossing my legs and leaning back in my chair. "Hey, maybe I should get you a pet bird to keep you company while I'm away, Lieutenant."

"Bloody hell." He grumbles and his volume drops a bit. I think he sees something on his end. "I'll see you soon, Canary." Ghost disconnects from the communications link before I can say anything else, to which I shake my head. Always in a hurry, would it kill him to slow down a bit?

I take a drink from the cup Konig gave me and swallow, some of the irritation ebbing away. "Hey, Konig, Ghost said that we should watch out for civilians. They've been hiring innocents to report to them, so..." The Austrian man nods, understanding.

Our enemies could be everywhere. Anyone. Not some soldier dressed in uniform, but our own neighbors.

- - -

"Eloped?!" Kim, the remarried widow from next door, gasped; a half-burnt pie placed between us. I bring the fork to my mouth, a nice chunk of the pumpkin filling meeting my lips. Another new delight that I've discovered after joining the task team. I nodded, winking at her. She laughs, hearty, before clapping her hands together. "My, if I had the guts to do the same, I wouldn't have had to get married to some useless man."

"Hah, what did you intend to do instead?" I asked, tilting my head. She flashes a brilliant smile at me.

"Marry my wife. Good thing she was willing to wait. Look." Kim points at the window and I follow her finger. A lady has a basket hung in the crook of her arm, checking their mail. I let out an understanding hum, nodding. "Catherine. Not really a people person, but, I'm sure you won't mind." She tilts her head at Konig.