✰ | fourteen ;

"Two. You two." Price jabs two fingers toward Konig and me, leaving Ghost to stare at us. "Konig renamed: Kilgore and Siren. Head in first." We exchange a glance and... hey, at least I feel a bit better about this mission rather than the last.

"And him?" I nod toward Ghost and Price glances over at him. A second passes. Then, another. I look at Konig. He looks at Ghost. Ghost looks at me. Price looks at Konig. The lieutenant lets out a hard breath when no one offers a response. 

"I'm going to clear out a... base." I nod slowly. "Cleaning up some work by Gaz." Gaz. Where did he go? He was on a trail, tracking someone down. I raise an eyebrow. "Graves climbed out of his cell like a rat. I'm going to go get him again." 

"Ooh, so like, hide-and-seek?" Ghost gives me a dry look. I nudge Konig with my elbow. "And we get to play house." He tilts his head, his sniper mask wrinkling against his helmet. Price stands up, reaching back and pressing the heels of his palms into his lower back for a dramatic stretch. 

"Alright, you all talk it out." For some reason, it feels a bit awkward when Price walks out and closes the door. I reach for Ghost's face, grabbing both sides to stare into his eyes. 

"You--" I cut off, sniffing. I lean closer to his mask, my nose brushing against his clothed lips. He stiffened but didn't push me away. Smoke? Was that what I smelled? I gasped audibly. "Were you making out with Price?" He rolls his eyes, letting out a groan. 

"Why do you always word things in a way that ticks me off?" He presses his hand to my wrist, pushing it away from his face. Ghost pushes it down, his hand wrapping around the back of my own. 

"It's a hidden talent." 

"Keep it hidden." 

"Ouch," I say plainly, before giving him a pat on the cheek with my free hand. "When did you start smoking?" His light eyelashes fluttered briefly as I spoke. Ghost's dark-bright eyes find my own, a breath leaving him as he shakes his head. 

"I'm a Brit. I took a break from it for a brief second, had something else to distract me." I tilt my head before patting against his gear. Not in his top pocket? "That's enough." Ghost sighed. 

"Hm." I huff. 

"As for you," The lieutenant strides up to Konig, to which the colonel's attention follows him. "Watch yourself." 

Konig turns his head, tilting it like a puppy would. "Y-Yes?" Ghost jabs a hand against Konig's chest, to which the man looks down. 

"I swear to bloody hell," There's a steely tone in his voice, a deep rumble that makes a chill run down my spine. Intimidating. Really, really intimidating. "if she gets shot or kidnapped--if there's one fucking scratch on her--I'll kill you. I'll gut you like a goddamn fish." I stare. 

"Y-Yes. I hear you, Lieutenant." Konig repeats, nodding quickly. I cross my arms. A colonel. An adorable fucking colonel.

"Oh, you're scaring him. Be nice." 

- - - 

"Oh, shit!" I trip on a rock and—oh fuck. I'm really about to die here.

Situational awareness. Yeah, maybe I needed more of that. I let go of my jacket, crossing my arms to protect my face as I basically fall off the edge of the mountain. I tumble a little, smacking through a bush and scraping my hands on the rocks as I tried to slow my descent.

My back collided with a tree trunk and my breath is literally slammed out of me, a gasp forcing itself past my lips. My lungs burn ferociously and I slip onto my stomach, my chin sinking into the moist forest floor. A slow breath breaks its way past my throat and I close my eyes, the feeling of dizziness overwhelming as I hear footsteps come after me.