04: ZAYD

There are too many files on my desk and as much as I'd like to arrange them, I'm not quite done with each one of them.

Back then I'd told myself it would easy to run a company since I wanted to work independently from Baba. I was really foolish then. Running a company is very stressful. The toxic part about it is the fact that I wouldn't want it any other way. I've done a lot since 2013 when this company was founded and I'm quite proud of it even though a lot of our clients can be pains in our necks. I guess all businesses have them. That doesn't make it less annoying.

My attention is taken from the blueprint I'm working on when someone knocks on the door. A moment later Summayya – my personal assistant – is stepping in. I bite back a groan when I see the files in her hands.

She stops on the other side of my desk with a chuckle. "Relax, Zayd. These are not for you."

A relieved breath leaves my lungs. "Thank you."

She takes in the mess on my table. "Still not done with the Sunrise Hills project?"

"I thought I was. There's a mistake somewhere and I'm trying to find it. I should find it before I leave."

"And if you don't?"

"Dan Allah don't jinx it. I'm tired as it is."

She chuckles again. "Sannu...I just came to let you know that we've gotten through to the owners of the interior and furniture company. The one that you showed interest in since they're about to go under, Samar's."

I nod slowly. "What was their response?"

"They said they'll get back to us but so far, so good...I haven't said this yet but I think it's nice that you're thinking of buying the company. It sounded crazy at first but it's making sense now."

She has no idea how much those words mean to me. "I feel like I'm doing nonsense more than half the time, Summayya."

She rolls her eyes. "That's what you always say and yet there are so many projects to prove that the opposite is the case. You're doing well, Zayd. Give yourself a pat on the back. It's not easy to make it this far and you've pulled through. Hassan can testify too."

I grin at the mention of my best friend; the man she's sporting a crush on. I don't think I'm ready to mention to her that Hassan has been in love with her since the first day they met which is the same day I officially opened the company. During the hiring stage, there were so many others who had qualifications perfect for the job but Summayya stood out and up until this day I can't put understand how she did. Two years in and she's perfect in her role. I don't know where I would be in this office without her.

I clear my throat. "Thank you. You just reminded me that I have to call Hassan and ask him about our tomorrow's movements. Or can you call him for me so I finish up?"

I see her rejection coming from a mile away. My lips curl up when she shakes her head without hesitation, a splash of colour on her cheeks. "No, Zayd. Whenever you finish with the blueprint, call him. I'm going to give these documents to their owners and head home. I'll see you on Monday."

"Summayya, haba mana. It's Hassan fah."

"That's not my business." She turns around and all but runs to the door. "Hurry up and finish so you can go home before Alhaji Dantata calls to accuse me of killing you with work."

I laugh at the memory. It happened once but Summayya was mortified. "I will." I remember something. "Summayya, did you get a reply from Jonathan Uzor?"

She stops, the door open. She turns back around and nods. "Yeah. Yi hakuri, I forgot to mention. He said he'll be honoured to be on board. He also said he has a list of people he thinks would boost the company once everything is set in stone. He attached his contact details to the email. I'll send it to you."