21: AMAL

I stay out of champagne's way and smile for every photo I'm pulled into. Getting to this very moment still feels surreal and I know it'll feel that way for a while.

My squad comes together and our pictures are taken by Jason's friend; an engineer just like him. Alessia, whose phone was used, promises to send the pictures to each one of us as soon as she's settled. When we're done, they steer me in the direction of my family and Zayd. I know for a fact that meeting my family is a secondary need for them. They all want to meet Zayd first.

Halfway there, I spot them coming our way and I can't stop myself from smiling; especially with the smile on Zayd's face.

I've always known that Zayd in a babanriga is a killer. I mean, that was way I met him for the first time during Halima's wedding and most of the pictures I have of him are in babanrigas. However, there's something about the babanriga he wears today – white with perfect black embroidery and a cap that fits him really, really well – that sets him apart from everyone else; including Mahmud and Baba, and that says a whole lot.

 However, there's something about the babanriga he wears today – white with perfect black embroidery and a cap that fits him really, really well – that sets him apart from everyone else; including Mahmud and Baba, and that says a whole lot

He wanted to wear this for Aliyah's reception? Thank God it was cancelled. There's no way he would have worn this and wouldn't be flocked by women who would try to take him away from me. I need to thank Aliyah and Faisal once we get home. They did me good.

On my right, Alessia inhales sharply. "God, Amal." Her voice is a loud whisper. "He's finer in person."

"Tell me about it." Barbara says.

Wanting to be respectful, I hug Baba first. When he twirls with me in his arms, I can't stop myself from laughing. He then puts me down and the pride on his face hits me square in the chest. I keep smiling. "I did it, Baba."

He nods. "You did, Amal." He cups my face softly. "And I'm really proud of you."

I decide to be a brat. "Prouder than you were of Mahmud?"

Mahmud's eyes narrow while Baba laughs. "I'm proud of the both of you, Amal." He lets go of my face and turns to my friends. "Hello."

I hug Mama then. She hugs me back tightly. "Congratulations, my darling. I'm so proud of you, Amal."

I can't stop smiling. "Thank you, Mama." I pull back. "I told you you'd look good in this gown. Did Baba like it?"

She nods. "He did. He almost got me to change. Ya ce no one should see me in this dress apart from you, him and Mahmud because it makes me look too beautiful."

Although he's still focused on my friends, Baba clears his throat and it makes Mama and I laugh. He's so whipped for her. I turn to Mahmud who stares at me for a moment before he smiles and hugs me. "You really are something, Amal. You said you didn't think you'd get more than one award."

"But it was the truth!"

He shakes his head over my shoulder. "Oh, Amal." He pulls back slightly and I smile like a spoilt brat when he kisses my forehead. I love these little kisses of his. "Congratulations, Amal. I'm proud of you."