19: ZAYD

I know exactly what I feel when I look around the arrival terminal of the San Francisco airport and don't sight Amal. It's heartbreak. It's ironic because I was the same person who told her to stay back in Stanford because I didn't want her being stressed out. I told her I'd find my way, yet I'm the same person who's wishing she were here.

The way this woman makes me feel is something I'm still learning.

"For someone who asked me to stay back in Stanford and not pick you up, you look really sad. Why? Because you thought I wasn't here?"

I don't think I've ever turned this fast. That heartbreak I felt a minute ago? It's gone. In its place is a mix of emotions I didn't know I was capable of feeling all at once; happiness, relief, and a bit of nervousness.

Amal's standing right in front of me and every mental preparation I did for this moment was not enough. She's smiling. Like every other smile of hers, this goes straight to my chest. Those video calls seemed to be enough before this moment. Now I can see that they weren't. It's nothing compared to seeing her in person and knowing that there are no miles between us.

Her smile softens and it takes more of my heart with it. She takes a small step forward. "Hi, Sa'ed."

I let out a small breath. "Hi."

"You seemed sad when you came out." Her smile turns smug and it shouldn't affect me but it does. "Why? You were the same person who said I shouldn't come here to get you."

I clear my throat and look away. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh, you have every idea what I'm talking about, Architect Dantata. Come on, you can admit it."

I turn back to her and I know better than to try and fight my smile; I won't win. "I know I said I didn't want you stressing yourself and coming down here mere hours after picking your family but –" I sigh. "I'm glad you came, Amal. You have no idea how happy I am to finally be in the same space with you."

Her smile is much smaller but it's still pretty. "You have no idea how happy I am too...If it were allowed, I would have hugged you. However, we can't so I guess this will have to do."

I don't have anything to say to that because if we were allowed I would have hugged her too. She sighs and her wide smile returns. "Come on, Architect Dantata, let's get a taxi. The earlier we get to Stanford, the better."

I pull my box along and walk behind her, finally taking all of her in. She's in jeans and a cream, loose top that nearly reaches her knees. A veil in the denim blue shade of her jeans is wrapped as a turban around her head and she's wearing black boots. I really did miss her.

"Amal!"

We both stop and turn. There's an unfamiliar man coming our way and I don't like the smile on his face. Amal fills up the space beside me, my box separating us both and she smiles back at the man who stops in front of us. He seems to be her age or at least a year older.

"Hi, Dawn."

"Hi!" He focuses on her, his smile still wide. "I had a feeling you were the one so I called out to confirm."

"What are you doing here?"

He points towards the doors of the terminal. "I'm waiting for my parents. Their flight is landing any minute now." He finally looks at me. "Well, this is certainly not your brother."

I try to smile. I really do. "Hello."

Amal steps a little closer and if I say that doesn't make me feel better, I'll be lying through my teeth. "Zayd, this is Dawn Thatcher. He's in my set and he's a friend of mine. We're not so close but we're on good terms."