36: ZAYD

I wake up to an empty bed. Amal's side is cold which tells me she's been awake for a while. The room is dark and I take a full minute to completely wake up before rolling over to get my phone.

It's precisely 10AM. I expected to sleep longer and I expected to wake up before she did. Speaking of Amal, where is she anyway?

"Amal?"

The door that leads to the living room is half open and it takes a moment to hear her voice. I can't make out who she's talking to but she's doing it quietly. I push the covers back and stand, the floor a bit cold beneath my feet. My shirt's nowhere to be found and I give up looking a minute later. Her clothes, both the bodysuit she wore last night and the slip dress I got off her after Fajr, are neatly folded. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what she's currently wearing.

I head to the living room and the sight of her on the longest sofa in my shirt and nothing else hits deep. She has her knees drawn to her chest, her phone by her ear. When she smiles at me, I have to make great effort to push down memories of last night and this morning before I'm forced to pull her back into the room. She's really tired and I'm not going to be selfish no matter how tempting it is.

"I'm glad you guys got home safe." She says to whoever is on the other end of the line. "I'll be sure to check out the pictures you sent." She then laughs. "Sure...Bye, Alessia. Yeah, bye."

I don't move from my position in the doorway. She hangs up, put the phone aside and gives me her full attention. "Sa'ed."

"You left me in bed."

"I didn't want to wake you. I thought I put my phone on DND but turns out I didn't. I'm surprised the noise didn't wake you."

God knows I heard nothing. "I was knocked out. We had a busy morning."

Her smile turns naughty and I have no doubt she knows exactly what she's doing when she leans back, leisurely draping an arm on the armrest. Keeping my eyes on her face is a struggle, especially when she has so much skin out. This woman is going to end me and she's going to do it excruciatingly slowly.

"A very busy one." She says sweetly. "Very, very busy."

"If you're not going to be able to finish what you're starting right now, end it."

Thankfully, for my sanity, she sits properly. "We'll come back to this when I'm a little stronger." She pats the space beside her. "Come sit. I borrowed your shirt."

I make my way over. "I can see that."

"Perks of being a wife. Your husband's clothes become yours too."

She looks good in it; I won't even lie. But then again - "You look better out of it though."

Her eyes widen and she slaps my arm. "Zayd!"

"It's true!"

"You're so freaky!"

I can't stop myself from scoffing. "See who's talking. You went from being nervous last night to being a devil before and after Fajr. If it weren't for the fact that you're sore, I'm quite sure we won't be talking right now." I smile at her, ensuring I do so sweetly. "It takes two to tango, Mrs Dantata. I'm glad we're on similar wavelengths."

She stares back at me, stunned. I chuckle and kiss her briefly. "I love you too, Amal...Was that Alessia?"

The diversion works and she composes herself before nodding. "Yep. They just got to California and they're already being sappy about missing us and Nigeria." She rolls her eyes. "I don't blame them though. Our wedding was a fairytale."

"It was. I'm glad they got back safely."

"Me too." Her face lights up. She moves closer and I not-so-discreetly place a hand on her bare thigh. She doesn't mind and her smile is blinding. "Guess what!"