Chapter 13

The next morning, Bilbo did indeed join us for breakfast.  He looked slightly out of place, not really knowing what to say to anyone.  He ate quickly and went to leave but I followed and stopped him.

"Bilbo!  Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the library, I really want to see what they have about certain subjects."

"Fine, I won't ask what but I'd like to take you somewhere, I'll get you back around lunch so you will have the rest of the day to look around."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see.  I've found out more about my status as a mermaid and I tried this yesterday.  It's perfectly safe and I can promise you'll love it."  I took him to the clearing and dove in the water. "Come on!  Get in!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to take you around underwater."

"Are you serious?!  I'll drown!"

"No, you won't if you keep in contact with me.  Trust me, I tested this on Thorin yesterday.  When you go under, just breathe normally, it's hard at first but you'll get used to it.  Thorin's the only one I've taken out so far so you'll have something to gloat about to the other dwarves, and when you get back to the Shire, not only did you meet a mermaid, but you swam underwater with her too!"  Bilbo's face brightened up and got in.

"You tested this on Thorin?  How did you manage that?  I can imagine that he wasn't all too happy about being a guinea pig." I snickered.

"I have my ways.  Take my hand and don't be afraid to breathe."  Just as we were about to go under, Fili and Kili burst out of the bushes.

"Mereniver!  I thought one of the conditions to taking anyone around was that-"

I pulled Bilbo underwater before they could say 'Thorin', it would only raise questions.  He would find out later.

As promised, I brought Bilbo back to the Company half an hour before lunch but he told me he would've been fine if he missed it.  He had a blast doing something he never thought was possible and he told me that if anyone ever told him swimming was no fun, he would laugh in their face and tell them about his experience.

The Company was waiting for us and Thorin helped pull Bilbo out.

"I must apologize for my treatment of you, Master Burglar, it was uncalled for."

"No, I understand.  How come you are being so nice to me?"  Thorin looked very uncomfortable, he didn't want to explain to the rest of the Company that I was the reason for his mood.

"I told him to take a day off of being the leader, he doesn't need to be like that while we're here." I covered for him.

"And he listened to you?" Bilbo laughed.

"Why wouldn't he?" Bofur sounded really confused, "She's his soulmate after all."

"WHAT?!" Bilbo shouted.

"Keep it down Bilbo," I scolded him, "I thought you wanted to go read in the library, not hang out with us."

"Oh, I'm debating about that now, I want to hear more about this soulmate business."

"Simple," Thorin was starting to sound annoyed, "Dwarves can only love once, Mereniver is my soulmate and it's the same with mermaids, one love their whole lives and I'm hers."  Fili and Kili both made 'awwwwww' sounds and Thorin shot them a death glare.  Bilbo seemed to get the message not to tease either of us so he slipped away, leaving an awkward silence in his wake.