Chapter 58

I laid down on the bed as soon as we reached our chambers, almost flattening the little balls of black fluff that were resting on my pillow. They gave me a pretty good scare when they dashed out of the way. One of them decided to go over my shoulder, digging her tiny claws into my skin.

"Ow! Come here you!" I grabbed the terrified kitten before she could get away. She mewled in protest but I ignored her. I placed the little monster on my chest and began petting her. She tried to get away at first but quickly decided to stay. She climbed onto my pregnant belly and began kneading my dress. I winced as her sharp claws pricked my skin but it was worth it. She was purring so loud, it caught Wani's attention and she was on the other side of the room petting the white kitten. The kitten finally decided that she was comfortable and laid down. Once more, I was amazed at how warm they were, she was like a little fire all by herself! (Those of you who have had kittens know I'm not joking, they're like mini radiators) She was soon joined by one of her two brothers, who laid down on my chest. Within ten minutes, the other two Momo look-a-likes were using me as a pillow as well. I couldn't move without disturbing at least one of them.

"Wani! Help!"

"No way, you're doing just fine." I growled slightly but there was nothing I could do. Thorin had made the mistake of trying to move one of them off his lap while he slept and that....didn't end well. The kitten dug his claws into Thorin's pants and refused to let go.

It was a good half an hour before Thorin came to our chambers. True to her word, Wani had stayed with me the whole time, reassuring me that everything was going to be alright. One of the twins would kick every few minutes as if he or she was trying to keep my mind off Dwalin's eye and Rynry's fate. The only downside to this was, every time this happened, it would disturb the first kitten, prompting her to bat at my dress a few times before going back to sleep. When Thorin did come back, Fili was with him and he had a tray of food. Thorin placed the tray on his nightstand before he started laughing.

"Well, you're in quite the predicament, aren't you."

"Just stop it." I rolled my eyes but I could not keep the grin off my face.

"Thank you for watching over her Wani. You may go with Fili now." She brought the white kitten over to me, placed her on my legs, and raced to his arms, kissing him full-on.

"I'm not hungry Thorin."

"You need to eat something."

"If I eat something now, I'll throw it back up in half an hour."

"Will you at least have something to drink?" He tried to hand me a glass of water but I couldn't take it so he put it to my lips and tilted it so I could take small sips.

"How is Dwalin?"

"He's going to be alright but his eye is beyond repair. His injury was the worst by far. Rynry has been imprisoned and is due to be executed tomorrow at dawn."

"But I thought that was illegal!"

"Not when an assassination attempt has been made on the queen or anyone else in the kingdom. If we keep him alive, he will find some other way to hurt us."

"But you didn't execute Doryan and she actually got a knife at my throat!" Thorin looked down at the floor and was silent.

"Mereniver..."

"You didn't!"

"I had to. You almost lost them and it would've been all her fault."

"Thorin–"