Chapter 21

When I woke up, my head was still pounding, only it was much worse. I tried to stretch, only to find myself unable to move, it was even hard to breathe! I opened my eyes only to find the sticky white substance from earlier all over them. I could see several large cocoons hanging from the trees upside down and it was then that I realized that I was in one of my own and that the dwarves were in the others! I panicked and tried to move but my bindings were firm. I opened my mouth to try and speak but my throat was dry and parched so only a strangled breath came out. I saw that one by one, the dwarves were being cut loose by some invisible force that was slowly coming in my direction. When I was cut down, my fall was slow and controlled. I felt myself come into contact with several layers of something and whatever it was softened my fall. The others began to cut themselves free but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't free myself.

"Mereniver!" Thorin shouted, "Where are you?" I tried to reply but I couldn't so I wriggled as best I could.

"Thorin! She's over here, she can't get out of the webs!" Webs? I didn't have time to think about it because I felt something cut through my bonds. Thorin immediately wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you alright?" I nodded but I was beginning to feel ill so I pushed Thorin away and ran to the bushes. As soon as I got there, my stomach heaved and all of a sudden, the remains of my last meal were all over the ground in front of me. I felt a hand rubbing my back and another pulling my hair away from my face. They left as quickly as they came, this was followed by several squeals.

I turned around to find the Company under attack by giant spiders! They defeated the ones that surrounded us with ease and Thorin came, took my hand, and pulled me with him but we were too late.

Another spider descended in front of us but I saw movement higher up. A blond elf was swinging around the web the spider had left and used it to control his fall. When he landed on the ground, he slid under the spider, slitting it's stomach as he went. He came to stand right in front of Thorin, an arrow pointed inches from his face.

"Do not think I won't kill you dwarf! It would be my pleasure." I looked around to find us surrounded by elves positioned in a similar manner but no one was pointing an arrow at me.

"KILI!" I turned sharply to see the youngest dwarf kicked down by a spider. He had no weapon. A female elf with fire-red hair as long as mine leapt out of the trees. She single handedly killed three spiders and then saved Kili's life by throwing one of her daggers behind her without looking, striking the spider between it's eyes. She dragged Kili over to us and forced him into the middle of the group.

"Search them!" The blond one ordered. The others put down their bows and advanced on us, taking away every sword, dagger, and axe. The leader approached me.

"Will you give me your arms willingly or will I have to take them from you?"

"Are you going to hurt us?"

"That depends on the cooperation of the dwarves but I do not believe any of the elves in Mirkwood have quarrels with humans, let alone a mere child. You will not be harmed, by father does not willingly imprison children."

"Willingly it is then." I unbuckled my sword and removed my bow and quiver from my back, "But I would like them back once I'm deemed to not be a threat."

"You have my word."

Mereniver, what are you doing?

Taking advantage of my age and innocence. I'll do my best to NOT be put in prison.

Very well. The leader had moved on to him, taking Ocrist from his grasp. He said something in elvish, handling the sword as if to test its weight and agility.