Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Fortunately for me, no arrows assaulted me when I dropped my veil in order to climb the rope. Bofur was on watch, I tried to slip past him but he saw me.

"Mereniver! You had us all worried sick!"

"Shhhh, I don't want anyone to know I'm here. Where's Thorin?" Bofur's face fell.

"I think he's in his old room. He was devastated when he found out you left him. He needs you, he just didn't realize how much until today. What were you going to tell us when you summoned us? I'm assuming it wasn't to tell us you found the Arkenstone."

"You're right, it wasn't but I'm going to wait until we can tell everyone together."

"About that, Thorin let it slip when he was mourning your absence. You should probably know that before you run into any of the other dwarves. As soon as he said it, his expression matched that of a child who just got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. He stormed up to his room after that." I smirked at Bofur's comparison.

"Could you not tell anyone I'm here?"

"Sure thing. Do you need me to give you direction to his room?"

"No, I know where it is." I hurried down the stairs and up to Thorin's room. The door was closed and there was no light coming from under it. I knocked gently. No response. Had Bofur been wrong about where Thorin was? I opened to door a crack and I saw Thorin. He was asleep in the bed. It figures. I rolled my eyes and walked over to him. The pillow was wet and his face was red. He had been crying. I gasped, causing him to flinch in his sleep, making the covers shift and expose his bare shoulder. I crawled under the covers with him and wrapped an arm around his broad shoulders. He was facing me so when I pulled him against me, his forehead rested against mine. The sudden change of movement caused Thorin to stir and wake up. His tired eyes cracked opened a bit and shot open the rest of the way when he saw me.

"Mereniver?" His voice sent shivers down my spine it was so husky.

"I'm here Thorin."

"No, you're not. You said you wouldn't come back until I fulfilled my promise."

"Bilbo told me you got the gold but didn't want to come over because Thranduil is there."

"You spoke with him?!"

"Yes, and I pulled his hair." Thorin snickered.

"How'd you get away with that?"

"It's a long story. Bilbo interrupted him before he could do anything. He looked pissed though."

"Now I wish I'd come over, if only to see the look on his face." Thorin grumbled. I laughed. To my surprise, Thorin's eyes welled up with tears again.

"What's wrong?"

"I never thought I would hear you laugh again, let alone hope to be the one that made you do it."

"Why?"

"Because I've been so horrible to you."

"Oh Thorin." I kissed away a tear that escaped from his eye, much like he had done for me that fateful night at Beorn's house.

"Where is the Arkenstone?"

"Please don't be mad, I gave it to Bard as leverage in case my threat to leave you wasn't enough."

"I understand. I would've done the same thing in your place."

"And I think you should know that both men and elves intend to stand with you when we face the army of orcs on it's way here."