Chapter 43

Me celebrating my birthday with my BFFs

Lord Elrond's words sent me into a blind panic. How could this happen to me? Thorin would be devastated! Lord Elrond gripped my shoulders, keeping me pinned to the bed.

"Mereniver! Calm down! I can fix it." I was brought back to reality.

"What must I do?"

"Call Thorin here, tell him to bring Oin and tell him to be fast. For the moment, you'll be fine if you don't move but I don't know how long that's going to last." I whimpered and reached out to Thorin and told him to get Oin.

By Mahal Mereniver, where are you? Are you ok? Is the baby safe?

Thorin please! Just get Oin and come to Lord Elrond's chamber as fast as you can but don't bring anyone else. Please hurry!

Tell me what's wrong!

Just get here! I need you! His mind left me and I turned to Lord Elrond.

"He's coming."

"Good and the healer?"

"Coming as well. Why does Oin need to be here?"

"I get the feeling Thorin will not trust me to fix you properly if he does not have a healer of his own race confirm his words."

"You said it's twins." He nodded, "Will this mean I give birth sooner?"

"It might, but not by much. My own wife was able to carry Elladan and Elrohir to just over thirty-five weeks." Before I could reply, Thorin threw the door open and raced in with Oin on his heels. He stopped short for a second when he saw me laying down and rushed to my side when he got over his shock.

"Oh Mereniver." He turned to Lord Elrond, shielding me as much as he could, "What in Durin's name have you done to her?!"

"I have done nothing, you should be asking your healer why he did or rather why he didn't immediately check up on your fiancé after the incident this morning."

"What incident?" Oin was completely oblivious.

"Doryan attacked me, held me hostage, and attempted to use me as leverage to get Thorin to marry her."

"You should've come straight to me!" Oin admonished, "This is the first real action you've seen in a long time and the baby could've been put at serious risk!" Lord Elrond cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"I have two corrections to make. First off, it's babies and second, Mereniver will miscarry both of them if she makes a wrong move."

"What?!?" Thorin yelled, "Oin, check for yourself, I will not believe this elf in this matter." Elrond sent me an 'I told you so' look as Oin came over. Thorin pulled the chair up to where my head was and sat down. Just like before, as soon as Oin pressed ever-so-slightly into my lower abdomen, I cried out in pain.

"Look at me love." Thorin encouraged. It wasn't long before Oin pulled away from me.

"Thorin, I think it would be best if you trusted the elf in these matters as well. He's spot on."

"About what?"

"Both the twins are precariously positioned, any sudden movement could cause them both death," Thorin's eyes widened in horror.

"Is there anything you can do?" his voice trembled.

"I believe that if your healer and I worked together, we would be able to save them but, it will be painful for Mereniver and you will need to trust me." Lord Elrond stated.