an unfamiliar feeling

a playlist to listen to <3- https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0k8ZeRAHw1m5GT9gyZC50T?si=vR3nQTp7Rm6bOFkw5rKcJQ

for him, it was simple. he was the school heartthrob, and he could get any girl he wanted. his name was spoken nearly everywhere, and he took pride in that fact. when he walked around, he would hear the whispers about him, and he would look at the others condescendingly, smirking. scaramouche this, scaramouche that. he couldn't get enough of the attention, honestly.

so when his friend, childe, decided to bet 100 dollars that he couldnt make the vice head prefect date him, scaramouche accepted it without a moment of hesitation. "of course, easy money~" he rolled his eyes, taunting.

you were the vice head prefect, someone who was good in her studies and actually quite pretty. except, people always said you didnt know how to have fun, and you were boring. yet for that reason, you were a hot topic for any bets, despite trying not to catch anyone's attention so as to avoid any trouble. and yet, that's precisely what happened.

hey, better boring than an arrogant prick!

the school playboy was now suddenly paying attention to you, giving him one of his signature smirks and flirting with you. you could only sigh in response. "please go away, my god. you're creeping me out." you said exasperatedly, pushing him away for the umpteenth time. he just didnt get the hint, did he?

"do you know how lucky you are to have the one and only scaramouche chase after you?" he sneered, scoffing. "you should be grateful i even paid attention to someone like you."

his behaviour exuded pride, and you didn't know if his behaviour wanted to make you scream or cry. maybe both. either way, he gave you migraines on a different level that you only experienced as you sobbed at the table doing algebraic equations.

"ah, i would rather no one pay attention to me rather than you." you replied flatly, and scaramouche simply laughed. it wasnt a happy laugh, rather one that screamed arrogance. "oh please, in a week's time you'll be literally begging me for my attention. just you wait~" he winked at you, before striding away confidently.

confidence was a good feature to have, yes, but his confidence to you was more like having a god complex, wanting to be noticed and wanting people to worship him. perhaps he had reasons for him to want the attention, to be in the spotlight. maybe you didn't have the right to judge him.

yet when he left, you gagged. you were trying to be polite earlier, trying not to insult him. you had a reputation to uphold after all. "oh my god he was so gross... ugh, i want to puke just thinking about it."

scaramouche on the other hand, despite having walked away so confidently, was seething with rage. "how dare she fucking reject me. any other girl in this damned school would have said yes instantly! i have charm and good looks, and I have the bad boy personality every girl goes crazy for. what more could she want? god, no wonder childe bet 100 dollars on this..."

you just hoped he wouldn't try again tomorrow.

he did.

the next day, he indeed came back, much to your dismay. this time, he was holding a bouquet of roses, smirking at you. "hey, so i-" he was in the middle of his pickup line when you simply interrupted him. "do you even know my name?" you asked, seemingly already knowing the answer.

"well, no, but the roses should be enough to make up for it!" he insisted, pushing the roses into your hands.

you groaned. okay, even if you ignored his very bold forwardness and his gifts, his basic lack of common sense in love, much less life, was simply concerning. "umm... what do i have to do to get you to go away?" you asked exasperatedly, just wanting to get as far as you could away from the boy.

"is this how you flirt?" a snicker escaped his lips as he bent over, dying with laughter as the giggles erupted out from him one after the other. "uhh..." you stared at him, not knowing what to do. what does one do when someone was dying of laughter, laughing hysterically in front of you for no apparent reason?

"o-okay, you're funny-" he breathed out, as he calmed himself down. what the fuck was actually wrong with him? you quite literally just asked him to go away, and here he was, giggling like you had told the funniest joke of the century. um, at least that meant... he was...

you couldn't even think of a redeeming quality about him even if you tried, and you were usually the therapist friend. that said a lot about him, didn't it?

"seriously though. please get away from me." you back away, sighing from the pure lack of common sense in the boy. "deal! give me your number and ill leave~" he teased, getting all up in your face again.

oh god, he was so stupid, but what choice did you have?

the boy practically jumped for joy when you gave him your number reluctantly, while you groaned even more. "see, you're literally so in love with me that you gave me your number!" he smirks, teasing you.

now the gears in your head were turning. hmm, what to do to chase him away for good?

swiping out your phone, you scroll to spotify and play a certain song.

"ask me for my number yeah you put me on the spot, you think that we should hook up but i think that we should not, you had me at hello then you opened up your mouth, and that is where it started going south, take a hint-"

"that is exactly how i feel about you. now go away, dumbass."

before he could react, you were long gone. "ugh, fuck this! she's supposed to have fallen for me by now, what the hell is wrong with her? i absolutely detest her, which is why i absolutely have to make her mine and then dump her." his flirty personality had dropped in an instant and now he was scowling.

he sighed.

how does one even chase a girl? he had never needed to do the chasing.

the answer to that, in fact, was very simple.