childe

the two of you were crying in the rain, hoping in vain that the drops of water that fell from the sky would mask the tears that fell down your cheeks. the moment was tranquil, and peace was achieved. it was... refreshing, the scent of rainwater, how cooling the surrounding air was.

"uh, sorry to interrupt, but can you both get a room?" a certain ginger's loud voice which was within earshot pierced your eardrums. "what the fuck? ew," scaramouche scoffed, recoiling in disgust and pulling away, and you mirrored his actions. "if you two want to have lovey-dovey moments together, just make out already, ya know?" childe blabbered on, rolling his eyes. 

"puss in boots if you could shut up for one damned second i will literally pay you," scaramouche groaned inwardly, rubbing his eyes in boredom. surprisingly, childe shuts up for exactly a second, before cheekily grinning and looking expectantly at scaramouche. "i learnt the perfect duration of a second as a child, so don't go telling me i shut up for too long or too short. come on, pay up!" reluctantly, scaramouche fished out his wallet, clicking his tongue disapprovingly as he handed a dollar bill to childe. then, his eyes widened, and he took out a photograph, its image wrinkled and obscured from your vision. instantaneously, he crumpled it up, shoving it into his pocket. 

"mm, thank you very much sire~" childe giggles, shoving the note into his wallet. "oh scaramouche, come here! you still owe me some cash. come over here, i intend to keep how much money i have a secret to [name]." scaramouche wordlessly walks over, and their eyes meet, telling a story words cannot. it was an exchange of words that was not verbal, yet you could tell how much it meant to scaramouche.

the two boys' backs were facing you as they silently muttered things you could not hear, and you decided not to eavesdrop for their sake. after a few minutes, scaramouche returned with a sigh, while childe still had his usual grin. 

something was clearly wrong. the atmosphere.... was much heavier. 

"uh, bye comrades! i have something to do. scaramouche, you should get going too. byeeee!" childe awkwardly said goodbye despite his outgoing personality, and he ran away as if he were one with the wind. scaramouche also took off quickly, as if the moment earlier had not just occurred. 

shrugging, you left as well. then, your ears... they catch a brief whisper, from a familiar voice. 

"thank you, puss in boots." 

that was... odd. maybe you were hearing things? shaking your head, you headed home. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

childe strolled along the streets, a brief sigh leaving his lips. "he really has to be more careful. what if she had seen...?" childe muttered under his breath, his fingers playing with the note scaramouche had handed him. "hah, I'm not sure what she would have said if she had seen the picture. he would... really have been in a pickle," the ginger chuckled, thinking of the scenario. 

yet, uncertainties still corroded his mind. "why did he still have it..? why keep a connection to the person he detests the most, his mother, out of everyone?" he mused, tapping the side of his head. 

then, he laughed. 

"hah~ scaramouche, that was a picture of her, wasn't it?"