simplicity at its finest

it was a rather simple process. you would ignore scaramouche, and focus on your studies, just as before. before that walking disaster marched into your life, ruining everything. sighing, you stepped into the school building. it had felt so much larger last time, with scaramouche chasing you everywhere you went. it felt... smaller now. in a bad way.

rubbing your temples, you groaned. you should really stop thinking about that idiotic, dumb boy who hurt your feelings. yet, the first thing you saw was the silhouette of the familiar indigo-haired boy running to you, holding your bag. with his head down, he passed the bag to you, mumbling under his breath. "um... this is yours. you left that day without taking it. and... i don't expect you to forgive me." 

you were stunned in surprise for a brief moment, then you could only breathe out silently. taking the bag from his hands, your eyes met his. "thank you, and to answer your question, i forgive you, but i don't intend to associate myself with you ever again," you reply curtly, turning away and going to class. 

he nodded in understanding. but god, did that hurt his heart.

why? 

 he went to childe, obviously in a rather bad mood. "fine. i lose the bet. that girl... my chances with her are gone," scaramouche whispers, a quiet breath escaping him. childe could only widen his eyes in surprise. "huh? you vertically challenged midget, what's wrong?" he tries to get scaramouche riled up, anything, but scaramouche didn't even bat an eyelid at the nickname. 

as scaramouche walked away, childe gulped. something was wrong, and he intended to find out. and how would he? simple, he would look for the girl in question. you. 

stepping out of the classroom, when you saw someone walking towards you, you half-expected it to be scaramouche, which you internally slapped yourself at. what was getting into you? instead, it was a significantly taller-looking, ginger male. jogging your memory, you realised it was childe, scaramouche's self-declared best friend and comrade. could it be, that because you asked scaramouche to stay away, he sent childe instead...? no, no, no way. you were getting ahead of yourself, and you shouldn't ever think about that stupid boy again. 

"um, yes? what's the issue?" you ask politely, as per your normal behaviour. "um... you know scaramouche?" you flinch at the mention of his name. "he... he's been acting weird. do you know anything about it?" childe continues, looking sheepishly at you. 

"oh. nothing, nothing happened. whatever happens to him is none of my business," you said coldly. childe seemed surprised at your unfriendliness and tried to push the situation further. "you know, scaramouche said he had a crush on this girl, and he messed up.. do you know anything about it?" childe lied, gazing at you expectantly, waiting for you to perhaps respond in surprise. 

to his dismay, you didn't even respond, simply dismissing the idea. "scaramouche? a crush on a girl?" you scoffed, looking at the side. "if that douchebag of a boy has a crush, you're looking for the wrong girl," you roll your eyes, walking away. 

childe chased after you. "wait! its okay if i got the wrong person. can we be friends?" 

you laughed bitterly. "that depends. are you a better person than scaramouche?" 

childe chuckled. "anyone is a better person than that vertically challenged midget." 

a small smile cracked on your lips. "that i will agree on. sure, lets get to know each other." 

scaramouche was watching from a distance. and at that moment, he turned around, as feelings of jealousy bubbled up within him.