pull door

as you took the flowers, your cheeks involuntarily heated up. nothing made sense. you had seen the flowers beforehand already, so why was it now filling you with a sense of nostalgia?

maybe it was the fact that this was the first bouquet of flowers you had accepted from him.

"thank you," you managed to utter, holding the bouquet up to your nose so as to hide your flushed face.

they smelled absolutely heavenly.

"shall we go now?" you asked quietly. he nodded quickly, trying not to come off as flustered when in actuality he was a nervous wreck right now. so as you walked to the restaurant door, he wanted to be a 'gentleman' and opened the door for you.

at least, tried to. the door didn't open.

scaramouche's eyes widened in shock and embarrassment as he tried to push the door again but to no avail. and at this point, you could no longer hold in your laughter. you burst into a fit of giggles, looking at him. "that's a pull door."

"oh."

he simply stared at you awkwardly, before pulling the door as it swung open easily. he wanted to just crawl into a hole in the floor right there and then, but he managed to continue walking without straight up banging into anything-

"BAM!" the sound of his head knocking into a pillar resounded throughout the whole restaurant as everyone turned to stare, including you.

now he really wanted to jump off a building.

between laughs, you patted his shoulder. "watch where you're going, I wouldn't want you falling," you advise as if you were his superior. he could only reply with a shrug of the shoulders, his face burning with embarrassment and the fact that he was in close proximity to you.

he wished the ground would just crumble and swallow him up. 

"I would like you to fall though, to fall for me," he then whispers, pressing his lips together in a thin line, seemingly realising his attempts of making the situation less awkward was only digging his own grave.

"you're cheesy, you know? i don't even know how girls fall for you, you quite literally have no rizz at all." 

"speak for yourself, dumbass."

for you, this was a rather refreshing experience. scaramouche in his 'flustered awkward clumsy schoolboy' state was surprisingly endearing. he was now blushing madly, looking like he would just run out of the restaurant at any time.

as the two of you sat down at a table, you both reached for the same menu, your hands brushing against each other for a moment. while you purely had no reaction, his face just got even redder as he quickly retracted his hand, muttering, "ladies first."

you hesitantly took the menu, skimming through it, whereas he just sat there at a loss for what to do. there was only one menu, and out of basic courtesy, you moved closer to him, putting the menu between the two of you.

"what do you want to order? ill take a carbonara."

"i-um... ill take a piece of steak. you cant go wrong with steak." he gave you a lopsided grin, before calling the waiter over to your table. "one serving of steak and one serving of carbonara please!" you smiled at the waiter as scaramouche remained silent.

when the food arrived, you dug into the food as you always did, wolfing down the food as if you had starved for days. your mother always told you it was "unladylike", but you couldn't give a bigger shit about her opinion.

scaramouche let out a soft chuckle at your actions, meticulously cutting through the steak as compared to you. in the end, when you were done, there was carbonara sauce all over your lips. embarrassing, utterly disgusting? yeah. catching sight of how you looked, scaramouche couldn't help but laugh.

"you're quite the messy eater, huh?" he chuckled

"at least I'm not a self-absorbed clumsy fool," you retorted curtly, to which he shut up instantly. 

"you suck, you know? i wouldn't be chasing you if not for..." his voice quietened gradually to nothingness, and then he coughed, no longer continuing on that topic. 

you wondered, what was that something? nevertheless, it didn't matter, for you would never fall prey to his charms. 

you swore to that wholeheartedly. 

and for scaramouche, he would take it to the grave, but that was the first date he had ever had where he had to ask. 

maybe he wasn't the charismatic, charming person he thought he was after all.