Chapter One- Everything Starts With A Train

Trees whipped across my window as my train to Munich bowled itself at full speed ahead across the German countryside. It's summer here, and almost seeming normal from the aftermath of the war. Whatever normal was. The sun was blazing onto the luscious green hills, unkempt and wild, but still beautiful.

The country has been broken into the fragments of a once great nation- everyone wanting a share of it. If there was anything left to share.

It's been three years since the last Great War. Four years since the bombing of Himmel Street...four years since the death of the Hubermanns, since the death of the boy with the yellow hair.

The only one left, the only one who I could call my family, Max Vanderberg. I'd missed him more than anything life had to offer. I hadn't seen Max since the end of the war, when he was released from his prison and came to see me.

He sent me a letter a week or so back, asking me to travel to Munich to visit him:

Dearest Liesel,

I have recently found myself in Munich, working as a bank clerk. Not the highest position in the ranks, but I am so grateful for the work.

I don't have much at the moment, but Liesel, if you ever find yourself missing me as I miss you, I would be honoured if you would come and visit me in Munich, if only for a week or two. It may be a slum of a city but it is beautiful.

Oh Liesel, how I've missed your storytelling. I brought a copy of the Invisible Man the other day, maybe you could read it to me as you once did. Do you remember the sickly Jew who you nursed back to health with that book? He's still here. Still breathing, still listening, still waiting.

I hope you come.

Love your Max Vanderberg

Jewish bank clerk and ex-fist fighter

Of course I brought the next avalible ticket to Munich, and here I am. Sitting on a train. Pulling up to the station. I could feel my heart starting to speed up, as if on cue.

Max, my darling Max. I was only a child when I saw him last. I wonder if he has changed as much as I have.

I started to follow the steady stream of people through the exit, looking through the crowd of friends and families until I spot him. The same feathery raven hair.
Max.