Chapter Three- Changes

Max's perspective

There was a pain in my lower back. How did I end up on the sofa?

Liesel.

Still dosy from waking, I dragged myself up to start to boil some water for tea, shuffling along the floorboards.

It had been 5 short days since Liesel arrived.

I still can't get over how much she has changed. How much she has grown. Not just physically, but mentally. She sees and understands the world better than I ever will, and has a sort of elegant nature to her presence. A presence that I had sorely been missing from my life for quite a while.

As I put two tea bags in the mugs, I could hear Liesel stirring.

She stumbled out into the corridor, her mass of blonde curly hair tangled into a large bun on the top of her head.

"Good morning Max! You're up early."

"Couldn't sleep."

I handed her her mug as she took a seat on the wooden dining chair; smiling her beautifully goofy smile.

"Alright Miss Memminger, today, after you finish work, I am taking you out for a glorious meal to celebrate your first week in Munich!"

Liesel had started work at a library in the town centre. A role she could play with ease in society. Assistant librarians didn't earn much, but enough to keep herself safely in Munich for now.

"I'd love to Max! Where are you going to take me?"

"You'll see."

I smiled and winked, feeling slightly awkward after, and headed towards the door, leaving for work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Der Efeu Baum, The Ivy Tree is the best restaurant I could think of bringing Liesel to.

She had certainly dressed the part for the evening, wearing a knee length green velvet dress, which hugged her waist, showing off her natural beauty, and the the slight curve of her figure.

I swallowed. She's only a child Max. But...look at her. How is she a child anymore? She's stunning.

"Oh Max its beautiful here, look at all the ivy!"

The Ivy Tree was a restaurant where everyone was seated outside. Along all the dark oak tables and chairs were rows of intricate ivy carved into the wood. Real ivy was strung across the trees to create a fairy-like atmosphere, and a large ivy tree stood magnificent in the left hand corner- its branches protecting the customers from the night.

A band played softly and steadily in the corner as couples spoke in hushed voices around the restaurant; dancing and drinking and speaking to one another. I felt almost calmed by the atmosphere.

"Max, what have you been doing for the last 3 years then? You've barely written to me. I almost thought you had forgotten about me."

"I've been working a lot." I let out a nervous laugh, knowing Liesel wouldn't accept that as an answer.

My palms started sweating as I knew what question would soon follow. I felt as if I couldn't contain my nervous spirit any longer.

"No really...you can tell me! Have you...been seeing anyone? A girl?"

"No."

Then she looked at me. Really looked at me and understood.

Creasing her forehead and looking worryingly into my eyes, she asked, "What's happened Max?"

I had to tell her. She deserved to know the truth. She needed to know.

I looked down at my hands, wringing them together as I spoke.

"No, I haven't been seeing anyone. I...I've been getting some help. For some of the nightmares. The pain of my different memories. Of my family, of Hans and Rosa, of you, of the...the camp. I was pushed right towards the edge. I didn't find my way back until I was given help."

I couldn't look at Liesel. I couldn't bear the look of pity in her eyes.

"After I came and saw you, I went into a program. For Jewish survivors. They helped me to forget about...Dachau. Or at least help me with the pain for a while."

I had to look at her. I had to see that she was still near.

I reached out towards her hand over the table. Hoping to find some comfort in her somehow.

"But I'm better now Liesel. I promise. It's just hard for me...the war...the war destroyed me."

I started shaking at the thought of Hans and Rosa lying there in front of me. Covered in the rubble of their home. Liesel hugging their cold bodies. Why didn't you stay? Why didn't you look after us?

I pulled my hand away from Liesel's and pressed a cigarette to my mouth.

I looked up to see her wide, tear shed hazel eyes studying me.

She smiled a sympathetic smile and asked, "Would you do me the honour of dancing with me Max Vanderberg?"

I sighed with slight happiness as I placed my hand into hers as we took a slow walk towards the other couples.

I slid my hand on to her waist and could feel her hand resting on my shoulder as we started to move gently to the music; my cigarette still burning slowly in my mouth.

My heart rate soared from being that close to her. I had never felt this way about her before. My little Liesel.

I can't do this anymore.

This is Liesel, Max. You can't be falling for Liesel. Stop it Max. You don't deserve her. You are a dirty Jew, remember? You are a dirty Jew who murdered his own family to survive. You are nothing compared to her.

My eyes started to flutter with tears.

"We should go." she said in a hushed voice.

I nodded in agreement.

We strolled back to the apartment, on the silent streets of Munich, arm in arm.

Do I deserve her?