Chapter Fifteen- Adrenaline

Liesel's Perspective

I didn't sleep. I had curled up into the corner of my cell, ready to pounce. 

The idea came to me after the man had visited my cell. The Nazi in charge. The other guards had called him General Roth. The man who called me beautiful and pure. He was the way to get out of here, no matter what the cost. He had brought back sickening memories I had tried to suppress for years, tearing my life apart again piece by piece. He was our way out. 

We would be inspected by General Roth twice a day, even if for a moment. Once in the morning, and once before it turned dark. 

I heard his footsteps, and the sounds of opening doors getting louder and louder, approaching my cell. 

I heard Max's door swing open with a clank. 

"No response Sir. What would you like us to do with him?"

"Fetch him some water. He needs to be woken up, that's all."

"Understood Sir."

"I'll check on the girl. See to him."

Max's door shut again. This time, with a gentle thud. 

Hold on Max. Just hold on. This was it. I couldn't mess it up this time. I was ready. 

My door swung open, with Roth standing there quizzically.

"How are we doing today Miss Memminger? You look a little brighter."

"Liesel. Please."

I stood up and started to move towards him, trying to look as graceful as possible. I could't stop shaking. 

His deep brown eyes pierced into mine, reminding myself to be cautious. 

"Sir. I understand what you said about the Jews now. I understand."

I stepped forward slowly, edging myself towards him. 

"I want you to help me get rid of all thoughts of him. He is dirty. I want something pure. I need someone strong and...all German to help me. To cleanse me." 

My words trembled a little, but I held my eye contact with him. I was strong. 

I imagined myself looking wild, like a crazed animal in headlights. 

Slowly I moved my hand up to his hard edged face, trying to block out the sounds of Max next door. I was doing this for us. I could hear the waves of water crashing on his skin as he let out a cry. 

At least this time it was surprise over pain. 

"What are you implying, Liesel?"

"I saw the way you looked at me. Don't you think that I could be saved by you? Do you not think I could still be a good girl?"

The words burned in my throat. Choking me. 

Roth took my hand away from his face, immediately leaving my cell. My heart sunk as my emotions began to fade away. 

"You are dismissed. I would like to speak with Miss Memminger in private."

Daunt and adrenaline pumped through my body. It was happening. 

He shut the door behind him, coming at me like a murderer for his victim. His lips pressed against mine, hard and rushed. I forced myself to reciprocate. 

His hands against my body made me want to recoil in disgust. I felt dirty with every movement I made.

I felt him starting to unbuckle his belt. I began to help him take it off, looping it around my fingers and letting it drop to the floor along with his set of keys. It clamoured loudly, but I didn't let myself look at them. I had to concentrate. I allowed him to pull down his trousers to his most vulnerable before I kicked him directly in the testicles. 

He dropped to his knees in agony as I picked up the belt, wrapping it around his neck. 

His weight and strength against me was too much, but I persisted, using whatever energy I had left. I was getting out of here. 

I pulled as hard as I physically could, but Roth knocked me backwards, releasing himself from my grip. I kicked him hard in the back and lurched towards the keys, securing them between my sweating fingers.

I staggered back towards the door as he pulled up his trousers, lunging towards my freedom and shutting it behind me, with Roth locked inside. 

"Max? Alwin? Get ready to move everyone."

With my hands trembling and the sounds of Roth's rage tormenting the air, I unlocked Max from his cell. 

"Max!"

He came towards me, rushing quickly out of his cell.

"Liesel. You're alright."

"Please Max, take the keys, release everyone. I can't do it anymore, I'm shaking too much."

"That's alright my darling. Stay there." 

Alwin was the next to be released, cautiously making his way out of his cell. 

"Liesel?! My God you're alright. What do we do now?"

"We run."