Epilogue

Max's Perspective

I woke with a jolt. My dreamy prison had pulled me under again, reminding me of the darkness. 

I had been sweating again. Finding it hard to breathe again. It's not easy to dream peacefully when you have so much to lose.  

The morning light had already begun to travel through the blinds, allowing me to see the outlines of the room. I went over to open them fully, letting the room burst with brightness;  shaking away any remains of the twilight. 

Liesel squirmed under the glow of the morning, waking up from what I hope was a deep, uneventful dream. 

I calmed myself into my ordinary state of mind, watching her wake up. She centred me simply by her presence.  

"Good morning Darling." 

"Morning." She said smiling. "What time is it?" 

"Around seven thirty I think."

I could see her eyes widen in terror, as I laughed at her. 

"It's a Sunday Liesel, don't panic." 

"Ohh."

Liesel sunk back into the sheets, smiling and closing her eyes. 

She had recently started working for a charity organisation for children, most of whom had lost one or both parents in the war. It keeps her very busy, but loves it with all her heart. 

Alwin actually found her the job. He still runs the bookshop, and had recently proposed to his long term girlfriend, Amalie. They are very happy. 

I smiled at her lovingly, creeping over to her until...the sounds of our baby crying suddenly invaded the air. 

"I'll get her."

I pulled on some pyjama trousers and went to attend our little one.

"Hello my little baby girl! How are we this morning!"

I nestled her up into my arms, holding her against my chest as her screaming subsided into little sniffles.

After cuddling her and changing her, I brought her over to Liesel. 

"Here you go. Now over to mama. Now...my darling wife."

"Yes?"

"As it is a beautiful, sunny Sunday morning, I think we should go out, don't you think so Rosie? Yes I do papa!"

I crashed on to the bed, cosying up to the two of them. 

"Into town?"

"If you'd like. Or we can just walk around the countryside?" 

"The countryside. Just the three of us."

"Sounds perfect."

I kissed her long and hard on her forehead before going to get ready.  

This was it. I had found my true happiness. My family. It was so perfect, that it scared me. 

All I can do is hope, and dream for the future of our baby girl. That she grows up in a world of peace, love, and lots and lots of books.