Chapter 13- Trapped

Liesel's Perspective

"Max! Quickly!" I screamed out before it was too late.

One of the Nazis had entered the room and then run off to tell the others. We started to move rapidly up the stairs, and gradually got to a corridor. We all just kept running, but I could sense that the guards we closing in on us.

I felt a harsh grip invade my shoulder as I crashed to the ground. I had hit my head hard on the ground and was groggily dragged away from the group. I saw others crashing to the ground in front of me, being brutally beaten by guards and pleading for their lives. Although blood was seeping down into my eyes, I could faintly see Max trying to run towards me, pushing through the sea of guards and helpless Jews, but not after long, the darkness started closing in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wake up. Little girl. Wake up. Miss Memminger. Wake up!"

I was kicked hard on the side as I opened my eyes, wincing in pain. I had been taken into a lonely and foreign room, but could hear the distant screaming of others.

Max. Where are you?

"Now we know you aren't a Jew. So our question is, what are you doing here Miss Memminger? With these abominations. A beauty like yourself is polluted by spending time with them. Surely you must know that!"

By now, I had sat up and pressed my back against a hard wall. I didn't reply. I was speechless. Everything hurt, and the fall had re opened the wound on my head. The blood had dried out pieces of my hair, turning my blonde into a deep auburn. Everything ached, but the resounding fear I had for my life, and that of Max's life, was all more unbearable.

Tears escaped my eyes as I heard different people crying out with pain. Among these screams must have been Max and Alwin. The only two people left in the world I gave a damn about.

Crouched in front of me was a middle aged man, with rough pale skin and a hard smirk on his face. He took a piece of my hair and curled it tightly through his fingertips.

"Do you hear that Miss Memminger? The screams of your friends? Your Jew boyfriend? He's in the cell next to you you know. Although I haven't heard him cry out for a while."

He nodded to a guard, leaving us alone. The man took out a handkerchief from his pocket and spat on it, keeping his wide blue eyes on me at all times. He began to wipe away the blood from my forehead.

"Now look Miss Memminger, we are reasonable people. You and your friend, Mr Alwin Schreiber will be given your freedom. The others of course will have to be eliminated before you leave us, you must understand that. That includes your Jewish friend too. Then, you'll be allowed to leave. I'll even let you watch us do it. I'm assured it'll be quite entertaining."

Frustration, anger and sadness surged through my body all at the same time. I spat in his face and watched him recoil in disgust.

"As you wish Miss Memminger. I think a few more beatings to your friends should teach you some respect. Don't worry, you'll get your turn later."

He lifted my chin and said, "Such a shame. You would have been such a beautiful pure German girl. The perfect wife and mother."

As the cell door slammed behind him, I could hear him give the orders to beat down the boy on the right in Room 9 again.

Max? No. Please God no.

I could hear him whimpering through the stone wall as the sounds of his torture resonated through to my skin. I found myself screaming his name over and over, crying and residing into the corner of the my cell; covering my ears from the hateful sound of Max's pain.

How could I get out of here? I had to save him. For good this time.

As I lay on the floor, I had an idea. It could lead to further pain, but I had to try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading my story so far! The final few chapters will be published very soon, and thank you for being so patient.

If you've enjoyed the story, please vote, comment and follow me for more!