Chapter Five- Mornings in Munich

Liesel's Perspective

I was woken by the sounds of Munich coming to life. Back in Molching, the only noises this early were those of the milkman making his rounds. There was something about being in the centre of Munich which made me excited. Maybe it was the industrial clanging away at the building across the street, or the way there were thousands of us living in the city, but barely knowing anyone you walked past, or the way the birds still sang at the beauty of the morning despite the noise.

I slipped on a dressing gown and tip toed out of my bedroom to start breakfast. I felt so awful for Max having to sleep on that sofa.

At the first glance of Max sleeping, he almost always looks dead. He lays on his back with his head held up to the ceiling with perfect precision. The only way of knowing he's alive is seeing the glistening sweat on his forehead from his nightmares.

I had often been woken up by his screams of painful memories. He always apologised as I crawled on to the sofa, locking his head into my shoulder as we sat in each others arms.

He had such a look today. Pale and shining, as always.

As I started to boil the kettle, I saw Max swing his legs over the side of the sofa, running his hands through his hair. He looked at me and smiled.

Oh God why did he have to do that.

Last night. The Ivy tree. Max kissed my cheek. Would he talk to me about it? Does he feel about me the same way I feel about him?

"Good morning Liesel."

"Good morning. I'm just making breakfast, do you want something?"

"Yes. Thank you."

We stood in silence for a few moments while I started to cut up some bread.

"Look, about last night, I didn't know what I was..."

"It's alright, it was quite great actually. I can't remember the last time I went somewhere so beautiful."

Oh God, I felt so awkward. All I wanted was to go to work and leave this situation before I said anymore.

Max nervously laughed as he took the kettle off of the stove.

"Well, anyway, I was wondering what you were doing tonight. If you can still stand my company after so long."

"Two nights in a row? Max, while I'd love to, I just don't think we can afford it."

"No, it's not like that. I was going to cook here. Just the two of us."

"Well then. I kindly accept."

I smiled as I gulped my mug of tea and prepared to go to work.