Chapter Twelve- Escape

Max's Perspective

It had been days since we all last had something to eat or drink. The mood in our prison had reached an all time low as many of us realised that we wouldn't be released.

The only thing to occupy the hours were my thoughts of Liesel. I wished I could have spent more time with her; more than the few months we spent in Munich together.

I would often have panic attacks in here from overthinking. Thinking about where she was now. If she was safe. I couldn't imagine my guilt if something happened to her because of what I am.

There were eight other people in the room with me. Six men and two women. We had all been thrown in here at the same time, woke up together, with some sharing their stories with each other. There was one other woman who didn't wake up, beaten too badly I think, and was taken away from our group within the first few hours.

All were Jewish and without families like me. We were all survivors of concentration camps. All insignificant in society. The man tied up next to me was called Gustav Aeschelman, a former business man who was now unemployed. He told me his story of how he once had a wife and three children. He had lost them all to the war, and now lived alone in a small apartment. No person would hire him, and most of his friends had gone. He was alone in the world, and had little prospects for the future.

I began to question my own future. Would it be weeks, days, or hours before they killed me. Would they put me to work first? I began to fantasise of the type of life I would have had with Liesel.

We would have had a quiet but loving existence, possibly in some place outside of Munich, or even Germany. We would be married in a local church, with an intimate ceremony and a small reception. Loving each other and only each other. We would have as many children as possible. I could just imagine a little girl, just like Liesel, with flowing golden curls and a glowing smile. A girl who doesn't have to worry about who she is or what will happen in the future. She could just be content with her life. Be proud of her parents.

I felt myself falling into a darker place as I tried to comfort myself with thoughts of Liesel. I would miss her.

I thought of Hans and Rosa. I thanked them for bringing an angel into my life. I could never repay them for what they have done for me. All I know is that I'd cherish their kindness and warmth with my last breath.

Liesel's Perspective

I had no idea where to begin, only that I had to start moving. I came to a dishevelled and dusty flight of stairs, my only real pathway to finding Max. They led me directly down into two different paths; the room where the Nazis were holding their meeting and a door which led to another flight of stairs.

I silently slipped on to the next set of stairs, avoiding the glass and dust which dominated the floorboards.

That's when I heard it.

The soft mumblings of a folk tune papa used to sing to me.

"Max?" I whispered. "Max?"

The humming stopped suddenly, but continued shortly after.

"Max? Is that you?"

Again, the humming stopped.

"Liesel?"

I started to run to the end of the flight of stairs where I reached a wooden door. There was a cell at the bottom, with metal bars dividing the space between me and Max.

I held him through the bars of his prison, kissing him harshly, burrowing my lips into his.

"Max, you're here, oh my God, what happened?"

"The Nazis have been on us for months. Tracking vulnerable Jews. They want to make an example of us."

"An example, what do you mean?"

"They attack us, humiliate us, kill us publicly, so they can show that they still have power and authority in Germany. I was attacked only a couple of months ago. Do you remember Liesel? I cooked you dinner, you came home and found me unconscious. The night we...I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth. It was so stupid and selfish. I'm so sorry. I would never put you in more danger."

"I remember."

That night, I would have never had guessed. He told me he had fallen, hit his head.

"That doesn't matter anymore, let's just focus on getting out of here. I'll get you all out of here."

I looked around at the beaten men and women. They all looked terrified and exhausted. I had to help them.

"The keys are by the door. Hurry Liesel."

I grabbed the brass keys off of a hook in the wall and unlocked the door.

They were all tied up; only by rope thank goodness, so I immediately took out my pocket knife and cut through the material as fast as I could.

"What do we do now," one of the men asked.

"We run, quickly. Everyone," Max said, as he indicated over to the stairway.

I let Max lead the way as I made sure everyone was following behind him. He was supporting one of the more severely injured women on his arm as he began walking up the stairs.

He was alive. He was okay.

As I put my first foot on the step, I realised that something was wrong. I heard footsteps from behind me, and the unlocking of another door next to the prison cell.