Chapter Nine- A Serendipidous Encounter

Liesel's Perspective

We stood in the ruins of the Frauenkirch. The once beautiful cathedral of Munich, destroyed by the war. I had no idea why Max had brought me here.

As it stood, it was nothing but a graveyard for the unfortunate people who tried to seek refuge in the church. The majority of the place had been lost, except for a few skeletons which could be salvaged. Ultimately, God didn't have control over the path of the bomb. To be honest, I highly question his omnipotence. There was something eerily numinous about the place.

"It's stunning isn't it? I find it incredible how only one section of the church can keep its original beauty, and the other, completely mutilated beyond repair. They will repair it, eventually. I think in some way, it sort of represents us, in some strange way. That's why I wanted to bring you here. I like to come here to think."

Max moved away, studying a different pile of rubble, before coming back to me with his intense glare, studying me, searching for a reaction. He carried on, losing himself in speech.

"We were both destroyed by the war. Both our families and friends were lost in the ruins of the fight, but there is a little part of us, still intact and beautiful. Ready for reparation. Even if it happens now or 50 years from now, we can recover. That's why I brought you here. Since you've been in my life, I know you've been something worth living for. Something worth fighting for. And I just want to show you that it's okay to be broken, but I'll always be here to build you back up again. Is that a bit too intense for a Sunday morning?"

Max Vanderberg, living poet. Stealing my heart with his words, as so many other writers had done. The only difference is, I think I'm stealing his heart in return.

I moved forward, and wrapped my arms around his neck, with his around my torso, kissing each other as if it were our last, our bodies in perfect harmony.

We spent the day out in the Marienplatz, 'the main square' of Munich, stopping off at anything that took our interest; painters painting their perspectives, musicians embodying their heartbreaks and passions, architectural triumphs which had survived the harsh conditions of the war. All of these things made our day particularly special. Of course doing it all with Max made it the most incredible day of my life.

Max's Perspective

As we stood listening to a young man strum his guitar to create 'Die Lorelei', a slow and steady folk song. I saw the longing in Liesel's eyes at an elderly couple dancing along to the music together. The way they were so comfortable dancing with one another in front of a crowd was inspirational. The thought of sharing a lifetime with someone you truly loved seemed like an exciting thought, but also unrealistic. Who would ever want to marry a Jew? The hated community of the world. The downtrodden and dirty race.

How wrong some are for judging and treating people accordingly.

"Max, I'd like to dance! Come on saumench."

Before I had any say in the matter, Liesel had hauled me into a space next to the elderly couple, and pulled me into the dancing position. We glided across the stony ground, Liesel giggling at my clumsiness and I looking into her big beautiful doe eyes. As the song came to a stop, we clapped and smiled.

"Well, that was a little more cheery since the last time we danced I guess." I said laughing.

"Yes I suppose so," she smiled, intoxicating me with affection.

"I love you Liesel. I never thought I could love anyone as much as I do for you. These past few days spent with you have been perfect, and I just needed to say it...that I love you."

Oh God what would she say back. I could see the dazed smile creep across her face.

"I love you too Max. I always have..."

I couldn't wait any longer. I ran my fingers through her hair, holding her head in my hands, and kissed her passionately. Our mouths moved together as clockwork, stealing as much time together as possible. Our love was so strong. I couldn't think of one thing that could break us apart now. We had already defeated death, loss and the Nazis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We walked home in the ecstasy of each other's company. Smiling and laughing. I couldn't think of a time where I'd ever been this happy before.

It's funny how life can do that you. In a moment, you can feel like the happiest man alive, and then life knocks you back to reality.

After the click of the lock, we walked in to the shattered remains of our apartment.

'Jew' had been repeatedly spray painted against the walls, with the rest of the room being completely destroyed, including my favourite sofa, the one that Liesel had loved so much. Our little haven was invaded by the people who I thought I had escaped for good.

We stood there, on opposite sides of the room, perplexed by the situation.

My mind was raging with sorrow and anger. This wasn't right.

Suddenly, we heard a creak of the floorboard from the bedroom.

Someone was still here.

As I rushed to get to Liesel, a group of men surged towards us, pulling me backwards away from her.

Liesel, I had to get to her, I had to get her out of here.

I shouted her name a thousand times just so I would know she was still there as I fought. My body being beaten down and torn apart. She replied only twice, yelling my name back, before I heard nothing but a thump and the shuffling of the men.

"Liesel!"

I stopped fighting for a moment to see if she was alright. She had to be alright.

I saw two men grabbing the limp body of Liesel before it all turned to darkness.