Chapter 19

James P.O.V.

I had just gotten off the phone with mom saying that Kimberly's family was in town and they wanted to meet Cameron. I told them that it would be a good idea, knowing how important it is for a child to at least know both parents. Now I just needed to tell Cami what was going on. "Hey, we're going to your grandparents house tonight for dinner" I said, knocking on her open door "ok, what's to occasion?" She asked "apparently your other grandparents and your biological mother want to meet you, is that cool?" I asked "oh, ok. That sounds fun" she nodded.

Around dinner time we made our way out to mom and dads house. "Hey mom, hey dad" I said walking through the door "hey honey" mom says, kissing my cheek before moving over to kiss Cami's cheek "hey son, hey love" dad smiled "everyone is inside" he added after giving Cami a kiss on the cheek.

"Richard, Wendy, nice to see you again" I said as I walking to the dinning room "James, nice to see you too. So this must be Cameron?" Richard asked after shaking my hand "it is. Cami, come say hello" I ushered her over "hello, it's nice to meet you" she said shyly as she shook their hands "it's nice to meet you as well my dear" Wendy smiled widely. I could tell from the look on her face that she was already uncomfortable, I guess we got to try and make this visit as short as possible.

I looked over at the table and saw Kimberly sitting there, a nervous look on her face. "Kimberly" I said with a small nod "James" she said, nodding her head as well. "Hi Cameron, it's so nice to finally meet you" Kimberly said as she got up to go hug her, but Cameron took a step back "I'm sorry, I don't do hugs" she said in an apologetic tone "but she's your mother, you at least owe her a hug" Richard said, completely shocked at what just happened "actually, Cameron doesn't owe anybody anything. If she says she doesn't want a hug, then she doesn't have to give anybody a hug" I said sternly, keeping eye contact to let him know I was serious. "Dad, it's ok. If she doesn't want a hug I'm not going to force it on her" Kimberly said, hope filling her voice that this situation wouldn't escalate. "Come, everybody sit! It's time for dinner" mom said, also trying to ease the forming tension.

Everyone made their way to the table and sat down, making sure Cami was next to me. "So Cameron, how old are you now?" Wendy asked before putting some potatoes in her mouth "I just turned 14 last week" she said politely "oh, well, we must keep an eye on you then. Don't want you turning out like your mother here" Richard laughed "dad!" Kimberly said shocked "what exactly is that supposed to mean?" I asked, feeling the anger starting to rise in my chest "well, it's just that Cameron is now at that age where she could end up with a child, like you guys did. We just don't want to make the same mistake twice, now do we. We don't want the same disaster" Wendy tried to explain "excuse me" Cami said quietly, getting up from the table and making her way to the bathroom. "Who do you think you are? Who gave you the right to talk to my daughter like that? She is a nice girl who's never done anything to you but all you can say is you hope she doesn't end up like us?" I started saying, my voice getting louder with each word "James, maybe we should calm down a little bit" mom started saying "no, I'm not going to calm down. This man just insulted my child. There's no way I'm going to let this happen! Cameron is a nice girl, she has good grades and great friends. She's a normal teenager who only wants to fit in in life. I've done the best I've could in the last 14 years after your daughter decided to give up her rights to Cameron and leave the both of us at the hospital" I started saying, making sure to make eye contact with Kimberly "I've done the best I could to raise a child while I was still a child myself. And for your information, she's got a great mother at home who loves her for who she is, a mother who will never abandon her like Kimberly did. A mother who would never leave her because she'd rather be out with her friends all the time" I continued. I slid my chair back "now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go grab my daughter and go home" I threw my napkin on the table and walked towards the bathroom. Before I completely turned around I saw Wendy and Richard giving Kimberly a look before they started interrogating her. "Cami, it's me. Can I come in?" I asked as I knocked on the bathroom door "yeah" I heard her say, her voice shaking a little bit, I walked in and saw her sitting on the toilet, some tears running down her face "come on, we're going home" I told her, holding out my hand for her to grab. She looked at it before grabbing it and following me out of the house. "James" I heard mom say before I closed the door "what mom?" I asked, still incredibly annoyed "I'm sorry about that, I didn't know it was going to happen" she ranted "mom, I get it but I've really got to go, I'm sorry. But I just need to get Cami home right now" I told her, she nodded before walking back inside.