'New' New Tails

Third Person P.O.V.

"That part goes there." (Y/N) tells Hiccup as she looks over the sketch. "Right. Thank you." Hiccup nods as he looks through the magnifying glass to closer inspect and adjusts the screw. It had been hours after the encounter with the Light Furies, the sun was high in the sky now as everyone was bustling on the island. Hiccup was building new tail-fins for Toothless and Twilight, but these ones would allow them to fly on there own. (Y/N) was making a special concoction that will coat the wings with a protective layer that will make the tail-fins be not so easily destroyed while Hiccup made sure it worked well.

Astrid walked over to them, placing her hands on her hips as she looks at the sketch. (Y/N) greets her then goes back to mixing the concoction in a bowl. "Hmm. I'm guessing you two haven't slept." Astrid speaks. "Yeah, well even if her brother is fine with us, that Light Fury won't let me or (Y/N) within a mile of her and neither of us will be getting any sleep or finding the Hidden World until Toothless and Twilight take over." Hiccup says, sighing a little. "Hey!" He complains playfully at Toothless as the dragon pushes him aside and looks through the magnifying glass. "What do you think of that?" The auburn-haired man asks.

Toothless gives an approving grunt, "Yeah." Hiccup replies and gently pushes him away to continue. "I think he's not the only one excited." (Y/N) says as she looks at Twilight, coating one of the tail-fins. The purple-eyed dragon has her back turned to the group as she looks up to the sky, eager to see the male Light Fury once more but does not want the others to know of her eagerness. (Y/N) smiles teasingly and once she was done with one of the fins she bends down to pick up more scales that fell onto the ground after Toothless scratched himself. To help make it durable and match their scale-coloring. She puts them into the bowl, "You tried this once before. They didn't want it." Astrid says to Hiccup, remembering what happened before when the two Night Furies were given their independence in flight but gave it up.

"That's because they didn't have a reason to back then." (Y/N) answers. "Toothless, do you mind?" She asks, holding the bowl to said dragon. The Night Fury gurgles and fills it with his saliva. (Y/N) sets it on the table where Hiccup is adjusting the other tail-fin and wipes her hands off with a nearby cloth. She grabs a pestle and uses it to crush the scales, mixing it with the saliva. Hiccup makes the final adjustment and stops his work. He wipes his hands and looks at (Y/N), seeing her (E/C)-colored eyes focus on her work. He sets his hands on the table and watches as she grabs her brush and dips it into the mixture. She paints the the tail-fin he had finished and Astrid watches the two with a fond smile.

She could not help but notice how much these two have grown. Hiccup was more confident in himself and (Y/N) was more opened. And seeing these two work together, Astrid was happy they found solace in each other. She rests her arms on the table as she watches (Y/N) work, not noticing Hiccup looking at her. "What?" He questions her. "No, nothing, I-I'm impressed. I mean, look at you embracing change, I am proud of you." She says, playfully nudging him. Hiccup rolls his eyes playfully and nudges her back. "Well, they are our best friends. I want them to be happy. Besides, it's just until they bring them back." Hiccup says, muttering the last bit. But Astrid catches it and stands up, rolling her eyes and shaking her head at him. Hiccup did not notice as he focuses back on (Y/N).

(Y/N) finishes painting the tail-fin, not having heard the last bit of Hiccup and Astrid's conversation. "Done." She declares. She puts down the brush and looks at her work, "What do you think?" She asks, looking at Hiccup. He puts his hand on his chin, humming in thought, "I think.... It's perfect." He smirks at her. The (H/C)-haired warrior shakes her head playfully. "Okay, Hotshot, let's dry them and see if they are up to the tasks." She states, playfully poking his chest. She grabs the tail-fin made for Twilight and Hiccup grabs the one for Toothless.